[NatureNS] hemlock at Spednic Lake

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 09:28:58 -0300

	{size:612.0pt
It's good to hear there are hemlock at Spednic Lake, and also very nice
that you are participating in BiotaNB.

I took a look at this lake on Google Earth Pro.  There's definitely some
bare, "scorched earth" forestry practices going on in that area on both
sides of the border.  I was hoping that the light-colored patches were
just hardwoods, but zooming in reveals bare earth.  The 'fingers' of
land sticking out into Spednic Lake are left with beauty strips and
little else.  (That's got to influence the lake water quality
eventually.)  We won't have to worry about HWA on those places at least.

Donna Crossland

On 2018-06-17 8:31 PM, Frederick W. Schueler wrote:
> On 17/06/2018 8:08 PM, Donna Crossland wrote:
>
>> HWA needs to actually land on hemlock.  I am not certain that NB has
>> a lot of hemlock at the border...
>
> * I'm at BiotaNB at Spednic Lake, right on the Maine border, and
> behind the one row of lakeside Thuja, the next ranks of trees are
> Hemlocks - which so far seem healthy.
>
> fred.
>          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
>          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
> Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
> 'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
> 4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
>   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
> (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca/
> "Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
>  -
> http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html

---