[NatureNS] Cliff Swallows

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 17:50:51 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

This came up rare on eBird so I will post here in case it is of interest. Today the harsh call of Cliff Swallows at a mud puddle surprised me. They were gathering pellets and ferrying them to the side of a building:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/42877832992/in/dateposted-public/
There is no established colony on the peak of this unfinished building as of now- just mud bits here and there so they must be just beginning.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/42877827072/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/41116620870/in/dateposted-public/

Ally Manthorne reported an active long-term colony inside a barn not far from here on eBird this June (while she was searching for Swift nests). This is the first time I have noticed Cliff Swallows in this area away from the latter property although I am quite sure there are others here.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings Co