[NatureNS] Nova Scotian forest composition

From: "Hebda, Andrew J" <Andrew.Hebda@novascotia.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 01:01:16 +0000

OjBpbjsNCglmb250LXNpemU6MTIuMHB0
--_000_BB70A87CFE8B8B4597E5A9D5EDDAB6FBE102F190AS446provgovnsc_

There was a publication from either the late 1950s or early 1960s by Dr R E=
  Balch called the Ecological Viewpoint... It came from either an episode o=
r a series from CBC University of the Air  in which he discussed the impact=
 of contemporary  and historical use of forest insecticides altering the dy=
namics of the budworm populations through selecting for resistant forms.

As I recall he noted that the cycling of those populations was regular and =
predictable with relatively clearly defined maxima and minima in population=
 sizes He noted that the selective pressure of the chemicals reduced the cy=
clic nature of the species and resulted in an incremental increase in the "=
low levels" of the species, to the point where the base level of those popu=
lations was higher than the upper level o the normal population oscillation=
s.

The point being that climate change is not necessarily the principal drivin=
g force for specific species impacts.  I will see if I can track down the p=
ublication (I think he may have been UNB Fredericton)