[NatureNS] Cliff Swallows

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 22:03:59 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_Jt3rOL0SJhMoeEbJ6HGyeQ)

Hi Nancy:  I was delighted to take Ally Manthorne on a swift (as in
'quick') "swift tour" of nesting swifts in barns in East Dalhousie and
Cherryfield a few weeks back.  We were surprised to discover the barn
swallow nest built over top of the swift nest. This is new construction
this year.  Dr Cindy Staicer and I examined that nest last year, and I
believe it had been active.  I haven't been back to see whether the
swifts (which hadn't started to nest in any of the barns at that point)
will build a new nest or move elsewhere.  The trouble is that
subsistence farming is pretty well terminated in the area and barns are
falling down, as you well know.  I will continue to try and convince a
few others who own barns to open up their hay loft window.  Spread the
word if you can.  (We were successful with one barn in Cherryfield, and
it is now occupied by swifts once again.)  My guess is that _any _barn
in that area would offer a welcome nest site to the swifts.  (Goodness
knows there are few trees remaining to consider, and chimneys are now
lined.  Where are they to nest?)

The barn in the photo is the old Sleigh barn located across from Flossy
Wright's place.  It's not kept open deliberately for the birds but there
is a growing colony of cliff swallows inside, sort of like we witnessed
a few decades ago.  It is unusual for them to be inside the barn, quite
correct.  But this barn has a huge open door at the back and that seems
to make the difference to the birds.  It is more open to the outdoors
than other barns.  The barn had been used more recently than most for
llamas and horses. If you go, you may want to knock on the door of the
house across the road and let them know why you are there.

I will be in East Dalhousie early tomorrow afternoon at my mother's
house if you want to check out some "barn swifts".  I assume they are
nesting in my mother's barn by now.  They are always later than the tree
swallows.  (Four of our tree swallows fledged today in the valley.)

All the best, Nancy.

Donna Crossland

On 2018-06-21 4:31 AM, NancyDowd wrote:
> The ones I saw yesterday were on the outside of a building. The nests photographed on the Jun 3 eBird report https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46353043 are in a barn that is kept open deliberately for the Swallows, Swifts etc. I was also surprised to hear they nested inside. Possibly the open doors make the inside as good as (or better than) the usual under-eaves-on-the-outside setup. I will try to find out more. Donna C might comment on those barn-nesting Cliff Swallows.
>
> Nancy
>
>> On Jun 20, 2018, at 7:07 PM, Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Cliff Swallows typically nest on the outside of buildings, and not inside.  Anything different about this barn that would make it enticing for the Cliff Swallows to nest inside?
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 6:39 PM, nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I read that Cape Breton is where they are most common/faring best. The colony inside the nearby barn apparently has 24 “jugs”. But I don’t know how many are occupied. Perhaps the ones I saw today are breakaways from that group (speculation)?.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad

>>> I noticed  a total of 4 occupied entrances today in the small Cliff Swallow colony in Louisdale, Rich. Co.
>>> Billy
>>

>> --
>> Ronald G. Arsenault
>> Halifax, Nova Scotia

---

--Boundary_(ID_Jt3rOL0SJhMoeEbJ6HGyeQ)

  <head>
  </head>
      in 'quick') "swift tour" of nesting swifts in barns in East
      Dalhousie and Cherryfield a few weeks back.  We were surprised to
      discover the barn swallow nest built over top of the swift nest.
      This is new construction this year.  Dr Cindy Staicer and I
      examined that nest last year, and I believe it had been active.  I
      haven't been back to see whether the swifts (which hadn't started
      to nest in any of the barns at that point) will build a new nest
      or move elsewhere.  The trouble is that subsistence farming is
      pretty well terminated in the area and barns are falling down, as
      you well know.  I will continue to try and convince a few others
      who own barns to open up their hay loft window.  Spread the word
      if you can.  (We were successful with one barn in Cherryfield, and
      it is now occupied by swifts once again.)  My guess is that <u>any
      </u>barn in that area would offer a welcome nest site to the
      swifts.  (Goodness knows there are few trees remaining to
      consider, and chimneys are now lined.  Where are they to nest?)</p>