[NatureNS] Small Wasp

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 13:41:05 +0000

--------=_MBF8BEEDC7-5087-49CF-ACA2-47CF02940EA6

Dear All,
     I have long felt that summer is not complete until one has been=20
stung at least once by a wasp. Well that job has been seen to.
     On June 27 I started to unroll a roll of the narrow strips of=20
indoor-outdoor carpeting, which I use to cover polyethylene on wood=20
stored outdoors, and pulled the top off of a small wasp nest. They were=20
not amused.
     I don't have time these days to process new vouchers but many times=20
I have encountered something only once so I decided to take one. They=20
are very fast so the first attempt was a draw. I got stung and could=20
collect nothing from an empty nest. The sting was unusual; minor pain,=20
no swelling but the area itched for a full day.
     Early the next day, in cool conditions, they were less hyper and I=20
got one; A1259. There are still 3-4 adults and many closed cells, which=20
I assume contain larvae so they are in good shape and I or someone else=20
may find time to assign it to a Genus or better.
     On this 65' x 108.5' lot, mostly taken up by house, driveway,=20
woodpiles and garden area there are more species, as residents or=20
visitors, than one could ever learn in a life of doing nothing else. A=20
recent cumulative list of vascular plants has about 120 species, some=20
are ornamentals gone wild, the remainder plants that moved in or were=20
here initially; cumulative because some plants fade out over time.
Yt, DW, Kentville
--------=_MBF8BEEDC7-5087-49CF-ACA2-47CF02940EA6

blockquote.cite { margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc }
blockquote.cite2 {margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc; margin-top: 3px; padding=
-top: 0px; }
a img { border: 0px; }
li[style=3D'text-align: center;'], li[style=3D'text-align: right;'] {  list=
-style-position: inside;}
body { font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 12pt;   }
]]></style>
</head>
ete until one has been stung at least once by a wasp. Well that job has bee=
n seen to.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 On June 27 I started to unroll a roll of =
the narrow strips of indoor-outdoor carpeting, which I use to cover polyet=
hylene on wood stored outdoors, and pulled the top off of a small wasp nest=
. They were not amused.=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 I don't have time the=
se days to process new vouchers but many times I have encountered something =
only once so I decided to take one. They are very fast so the first attemp=
t was a draw. I got stung and could collect nothing from an empty nest. The =
sting was unusual; minor pain, no swelling but the area itched for a full=
 day.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Early the next day, in cool conditions, they w=
ere less hyper and I got one; A1259. There are still 3-4 adults and many cl=
osed cells, which I assume contain larvae so they are in good shape and I o=
r someone else may find time to assign it to a Genus or better.</div><div>=
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 On this 65' x 108.5' lot, mostly taken up by house, driveway, =
woodpiles and garden area there are more species, as residents or visitors=
, than one could ever learn in a life of doing nothing else. A recent cumul=
ative list of vascular plants has about 120 species, some are ornamentals g=
one wild, the remainder plants that moved in or were here initially; cumula=
tive because some plants fade out over time.=C2=A0</div><div>Yt, DW, Kentvi=
--------=_MBF8BEEDC7-5087-49CF-ACA2-47CF02940EA6--