[NatureNS] Snake skeleton

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 10:53:01 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0000000000001fe5170572600506

I don't know of any Scarabs that are consumers of carrion...I've never
found them on any carcass I've worked with. I occasionally get them in
carrion-baited pitfalls, but that could just be by chance.

Our ants are at best omnivores...again, I've rarely seen ants on a carcass
that I've worked with.

Blow Flies, Carrion Beetles (Silphidae), some Rove Beetles, and others feed
on carrion.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 31 July 2018 at 11:10, NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:

> At least that is what I think it is- this is very near a lake so possibly
> a fish. What I find most interesting about this backbone is the speed at
> which the ants and/or Scarab beetles or? must have picked it clean. It was
> not on the woods trail 24hrs before I found it early this morning (last
> time I walked along that path) so was presumably dropped by a bird
> yesterday. Now its totally clean of flesh, little or no odour- very
> efficient work by the insects. It was still pliable when I picked it up but
> has hardened up since I brought it home.
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/43762551271/in/
> dateposted-public/
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/43762554751/in/
> dateposted-public/
>
> Nancy D
> E Dalhousie, Kings

--0000000000001fe5170572600506

ion...I&#39;ve never found them on any carcass I&#39;ve worked with. I occa=
sionally get them in carrion-baited pitfalls, but that could just be by cha=
mail_extra"><br clear=3D"all"><div><div class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smar=
tmail=3D"gmail_signature">_________________________________<br>RF Lauff<br>=
r=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">nan=
" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">A=
t least that is what I think it is- this is very near a lake so possibly a =
fish. What I find most interesting about this backbone is the speed at whic=
h the ants and/or Scarab beetles or? must have picked it clean. It was not =
on the woods trail 24hrs before I found it early this morning (last time I =
walked along that path) so was presumably dropped by a bird yesterday. Now =
its totally clean of flesh, little or no odour- very efficient work by the =
insects. It was still pliable when I picked it up but has hardened up since=
 I brought it home.<br>
osted-public/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.flickr.com/=
osted-public/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.flickr.com/=
Nancy D<br>