[NatureNS] Monarch Update

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 19:09:08 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--00000000000018e727057512ea7b

It was almost magical, today, to be at Whipple Point on Brier Island, the
absolute western-most point in Nova Scotia, seeing several Monarchs flying
on a very warm, sunny day. I watched one that really headed out over the
sea and I was thinking "Wow, there it goes", but to be honest It looked
like it turned and may have returned to land. Oh well, lots of birds do
that too.

Rick Whitman

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 11:27, Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca> wrote:

> Monarchs have stopped laying eggs and our last new caterpillars are
> emerging. We have been rearing them now since the 3rd of July and have been
> releasing butterflies since August 1st.
>
> So far we have released 280 Monarchs and used all of our 100 Monarch Watch
> tags. (50 more tags are coming). This year we have taken to surveying for
> chrysalis in our field of Common Milkweed and been bringing in those that
> are about to eclose to protect then tag the butterfly.  So far we have
> released over 100 'wild' Monarchs.
>
> The Monarchs have been productive this year and are everywhere. Almost
> every patch of milkweed in my area has had evidence of Monarchs presence.
> Many Valley gardeners have seen Monarch caterpillars in their milkweed and
> contacted us.
>
> The presence of all the Monarchs has been a delight here. Since mid-August
> we could walk around our field (2 hectares) and disturb anywhere from 50 to
> 85 Monarch butterflies. Yesterday the number was 58.
>
> Alison and I surveyed half the field for chrysalis and caterpillars over
> the last three days. We found a total of 205 caterpillars and about 30
> chysalis (keeps changing). Most (162) of the caterpillars were in their
> last stage before pupating (instar 5).
>
> The season is winding down but we will have Monarchs into early October
> since the latest larvae coming out will not become butterflies until then.
>
> It has been a marvelous year for Monarchs, the best we have seen since we
> have been raising them in our field.
>
> By the way if anyone sees a Monarch with a white circular dot on its rear
> wing underside, could you try to read the number with binoculars (good
> luck) and report it to me. All of our tags start with YAA. Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> Larry
>
> --
> Larry Bogan
> <larry@bogan.ca>
> Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia

--00000000000018e727057512ea7b

ier Island, the absolute western-most point in Nova Scotia, seeing several =
Monarchs flying on a very warm, sunny day. I watched one that really headed=
 out over the sea and I was thinking &quot;Wow, there it goes&quot;, but to=
 be honest It looked like it turned and may have returned to land. Oh well,=
rry Bogan &lt;larry@bogan.ca&gt; wrot=
e:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bo=
rder-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Monarchs have stopped laying egg=
s and our last new caterpillars are emerging. We have been rearing them now=
 since the 3rd of July and have been releasing butterflies since August 1st=
.<br>
So far we have released 280 Monarchs and used all of our 100 Monarch Watch =
tags. (50 more tags are coming). This year we have taken to surveying for c=
hrysalis in our field of Common Milkweed and been bringing in those that ar=
e about to eclose to protect then tag the butterfly.=C2=A0 So far we have r=
eleased over 100 &#39;wild&#39; Monarchs.<br>
The Monarchs have been productive this year and are everywhere. Almost ever=
y patch of milkweed in my area has had evidence of Monarchs presence. Many =
Valley gardeners have seen Monarch caterpillars in their milkweed and conta=
cted us.<br>
The presence of all the Monarchs has been a delight here. Since mid-August =
we could walk around our field (2 hectares) and disturb anywhere from 50 to=
 85 Monarch butterflies. Yesterday the number was 58. <br>
Alison and I surveyed half the field for chrysalis and caterpillars over th=
e last three days. We found a total of 205 caterpillars and about 30 chysal=
is (keeps changing). Most (162) of the caterpillars were in their last stag=
e before pupating (instar 5). <br>
The season is winding down but we will have Monarchs into early October sin=
ce the latest larvae coming out will not become butterflies until then.<br>
It has been a marvelous year for Monarchs, the best we have seen since we h=
ave been raising them in our field. <br>
By the way if anyone sees a Monarch with a white circular dot on its rear w=
ing underside, could you try to read the number with binoculars (good luck)=
 and report it to me. All of our tags start with YAA. Thanks.<br>
Cheers,<br>
Larry<br>
-- <br>
Larry Bogan <br>