[NatureNS] Save the Date

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 09:28:35 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01D444FA.D1FD53E0

Hi All,

I'm pleased to announce that we are proceeding with a southwest chapter of
the Nova Scotia Bird Society. The first meeting will be held on September
25th at the Yarmouth County Museum and Archives, 22 Collins Street, in
Yarmouth at 7:00 PM. I'm also very happy to say that our first speaker will
be Donna Crossland. The title of her talk is "Habitat: The forgotten
requirement for birds and forest management in Nova Scotia." I hope that
many NatureNS subscribers in Digby, Yarmouth, and Shelburne Counties will
attend our inaugural meeting. I'm adding a copy of a brief press release
below. Please feel free to cut and paste any of this material to use in your
local papers or social media communications.

Thanks!

John

The Nova Scotia Bird Society is forming a Southwest Chapter. "The increasing
membership of the Society in Yarmouth, Digby, and Shelburne Counties has
created a desire for a new hub of birding opportunities in the province,"
says Dave Currie, President of the Nova Scotia Bird Society.  "We plan to
have regular meetings on a variety of topics related to birdwatching and
bird conservation in the area. Eventually we will have field trips for both
beginners and experienced birders. We especially hope to offer programs for
youth to help mentor their interest and skills in nature activities."

Southwest Nova Scotia is known as a hotspot for rare birds featuring premier
birding locations such as Brier Island, Cape Forchu, and Cape Sable Island.

The first meeting of the Southwest Chapter of the Nova Scotia Bird Society
will be held on September 25th at the Yarmouth County Museum and Archives,
22 Collins Street, in Yarmouth at 7:00 PM. The guest speaker will be Donna
Crossland who will talk on "Habitat: The forgotten requirement for birds and
forest management in Nova Scotia." Donna works at Kejimkujik National Park &
National Historic Site as a "Resource Management Officer". Her work entails
conducting forest songbird surveys, loon monitoring, vegetation management
with a focus on managing a beech restoration seed orchard, and managing
invasive species such as Glossy Buckthorn and the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid.

The local contact for the Southwest Chapter is John Kearney who can be
reached at j.f.kearney@gmail.com <mailto:j.f.kearney@gmail.com> .

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01D444FA.D1FD53E0

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Book Antiqua";
	panose-1:2 4 6 2 5 3 5 3 3 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
p.Paragraph, li.Paragraph, div.Paragraph
	{mso-style-name:Paragraph;
	mso-style-priority:99;
	margin-top:0cm;
	margin-right:0cm;
	margin-bottom:6.0pt;
	margin-left:0cm;
	text-indent:36.0pt;
	line-height:150%;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Book Antiqua",serif;
	color:black;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Hi =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>I&#8217;m =
pleased to announce that we are proceeding with a southwest chapter of =
the Nova Scotia Bird Society. The first meeting will be held on =
September 25<sup>th</sup> at the Yarmouth County Museum and Archives, 22 =
Collins Street, in Yarmouth at 7:00 PM. I&#8217;m also very happy to say =
that our first speaker will be Donna Crossland. The title of her talk is =
&#8220;Habitat: The forgotten requirement for birds and forest =
management in Nova Scotia.&#8221; I hope that many NatureNS subscribers =
in Digby, Yarmouth, and Shelburne Counties will attend our inaugural =
meeting. I&#8217;m adding a copy of a brief press release below. Please =
feel free to cut and paste any of this material to use in your local =
papers or social media communications.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Thanks!<o:p><=
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>John =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>The Nova Scotia Bird Society =
is forming a Southwest Chapter. &#8220;The increasing membership of the =
Society in Yarmouth, Digby, and Shelburne Counties has created a desire =
for a new hub of birding opportunities in the province,&#8221; says Dave =
Currie, President of the Nova Scotia Bird Society.&nbsp; &#8220;We plan =
to have regular meetings on a variety of topics related to birdwatching =
and bird conservation in the area. Eventually we will have field trips =
for both beginners and experienced birders. We especially hope to offer =
programs for youth to help mentor their interest and skills in nature =
lang=3DEN-US style=3D'font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Southwest Nova =