[NatureNS] Duckweed

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 17:47:04 +0000

 in Spring. Such an impo
--_000_AEEFF8E4289F480F8A8471C27A825E31dalca_

Hi Dave, lemnaphiles,
I think the point was that if the primary experimental test of winter sinki=
ng of this little plant is just that, actually sinking, then this wasn=92t =
yet observed in your test in the =91control' case, the light-exposed cultur=
e (as you point out, I had control and experimental conditions reversed).  =
If sinking didn=92t yet happen in the brightly lit control, you can hardly =
argue about what was happening in the experimental (dark) culture, as the b=
asic alleged phenomenon (sinking) has not yet been reproduced even in the c=
ontrol.  =91Alleged?=92 -- do they actually sink anyway, and if so, in whic=
h species?

I spent a few minutes looking for duckweed info on-line including at Wikipe=
dia, of which www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/duckweed.htm<http://www.mobot.=
org/jwcross/duckweed/duckweed.htm>
is quite informative.   This doesn=92t reveal anything about the actual pla=
nts sinking in winter, and this link indicates that what do sink in some sp=
ecies are =91turions=92, seeds and fronds, not the basic leaves themselves:=
 the latter presumably disintegrate and die at our latitudes, when a pond f=
reezes.  Both turions (vegetatively reproduced) and seeds contain dense sta=
rch but lack aerenchyma air pockets, and sink to remain dormant through the=
 winter, though only one Lemna species makes turions.  Lot of research into=
 mass-culturing some species for possible efficient commercial food product=
ion, while effectively removing much CO2 from the atmosphere.

My query about possible buoyancy produced by oils (density 0.8-0.9 g/cc) wa=
s a probable non-starter, insignificant.  Lipid composition of other semi-a=
quatic plants like watercress and Chinese watercress is only 0.1-0.2%. Buoy=
ancy apparently is achieved there through hollow air-filled stems.
Steve
On Sep 29, 2018, at 11:38 AM, David <dwebster@glinx.com<mailto:dwebster@gli=