Re[2]: [NatureNS] Duckweed

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.142; helo=[192.168.0.100]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 14:38:18 +0000

planation that Lemna rises to th
--------=_MB71654DB8-2E04-493B-B3A4-647F7308BA4F

Hi Steve & All,
     Yes we can agree with the fact that they sink in the fall and rise=20
in the spring and, by analogy with plant processes in general one may=20
assume that these changes in position are under hormonal control. The=20
long rambling discussion last year was largely an attempt to consider=20
possible mechanisms. One may take it as given that photosynthesis=20
requires light and respiration continues under all conditions but slows=20
as temperature decreases. Also given; CO2 is more soluble in water than =20
O2.
     Note that my control was the dish on the windowsill and treated was=20
the dish in darkness.
     The original article proposed starch accumulation in the fall as the=
=20
mechanism of sinking and loss in the spring as the mechanism of rise.=20
Someone last year proposed an alternative;
      The alternative being-- With shortening days in the fall and=20
consequently less photosynthesis, the cellular release of CO2 would=20
exceed the release of O2. And as photosynthesis approached zero, CO2=20
would predominate in the gas filled spaces. This reversal in gas=20
composition ( O2 > CO2) would render gas filled spaces, which were not=20
isolated from the medium, more subject to flooding due to the greater=20
solubility of CO2.
     If the above reasoning had been valid then my treated plants, kept=20
in darkness for nearly a week, would have all sunk. They showed no=20
greater tendency to sink than the control. Consequently flooding of=20
intercellular spaces (or specialized aerenchyma) by water is not the=20
mechanism by which average density of Lemna increases in the fall.
     So I conclude that accumulation of starch (density 1.5) in the fall,=
=20
as growth slows to zero and respiration slows as temperature lowers, is=20
the mechanism of sinking. And conversely greater respiration, due to=20
rising temperature and resumption of growth leads to loss of starch, a=20
decrease in average density and rise to the surface.
     The original article noted that Lemna is more efficient than corn as=
=20
a producer of starch; impressive. I suspect the starch content in the=20
fall would be higher than in the spring and this I think is true of most=20
plans in temperate climates.
Yt, DW Kentville