[NatureNS] White Point, Queens birds plus

From: "Marg Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: "naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 10:59:51 -0300

On Monday we started putting up a couple feeders. Almost immediately we were
checked out by a few Goldfinches and Chickadees. Of course the Blue Jays
dropped by as well. Three seems to be the total at one time so far. Most of
their interest seems to be focused on the acorns across the yard.
Since then we have Song Sparrows visiting regularly.
In the big Maple by the drive we had a Yellow bellied Sapsucker, a juvenile,
yesterday.
It was raining too hard for me to get photos. It stayed most of the morning.
The group of nine crows from last spring seems to be dividing up. Now we
have a group of four and one of five. Lots of aerial maneuvers amongst the
trees.
Last week we were visited by a Hummingbird. I reported that. I hear a
catbird or two back in the trees.
I see Starlings lining up on the wires down near the golf course. Three Bald
Eagles were soaring above it several times this week.
Just over a week ago Steve and I visited Ragged Hbr. and there were four
Bald eagles, a dance in duets, out over the marsh.  That was wonderful to
see.

Over all birds are a scarce commodity around here.

We still have 8 Monarch Chrysalises to open that I can find.  I figure some
won't work but there are three that are quite dark so if it warms a bit they
might, might emerge. It is getting late. We generally see at least one at
Andrews head on Thanksgiving day but this year the trip will be postponed as
Steve will be working until the park has shut down for the winter. I no
longer drive.
Best regards, Marg

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
LocalArtistMargMillard.ca
By Appointment, please