[NatureNS] Unusual Heron behaviour

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 18:17:21 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Today in North River, Lun Co, I watched a juvenile Great Blue Heron swooping down on two Hooded Merganser females in a small pond. The first pass scattered the ducks and after a minute or so the Heron came down on them again from its perch in a Spruce tree. Then it landed on dead wood and stared at the retreating ducks before flying off.

It is unusual for me to see a GB Heron in my inland area (three so far this year though- firsts here for me) and I had never watched one act so Eagle-like. But they are opportunistic feeders and a immature might still be learning.

Nancy D