[NatureNS] =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_=5BNatureNS=5D_Re=3A_=5BNatureNS=5D_Re=3A_=5BNatureNS=5D_Nelson?=

From: George Forsyth <ge4syth@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 13:24:59 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--00000000000073be1e05785aff95

A Nelsons sparrow inland in NS is rare, but a Dickcissel is an even better
sighting!

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 at 05:01, NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your info. I am never sure how fine eBird breaks down their
> rarity classification within counties. But a Nelson=E2=80=99s is  definit=
ely an
> unusual sighting around here.
>
> I noticed a nelsonii subspecies reported from CSI lately and yes, they ar=
> more likely as an inland Fall migrant in NS at this time of year. The
> Ontario birder mentioned they see Nelson's in Fall on their return voyage
> south from the prairies population.
>
> Nancy
>
> > On Oct 12, 2018, at 10:00 PM, George Forsyth <ge4syth@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > eBird probably only flags birds as rare by county, so East Dalhousie
> being only fifty kilometers (as a sparrow flies) from the salt marshes of
> Annapolis, Kings and Lunenburg Counties is close. But you are right the
> habitat is not attractive to breeding Nelson's Sparrows, but a vagrant
> could show up in any grass area.
> >
> > It is possible that the Sparrow is a vagrant from the inland breeding
> population, two subspecies: Ammodramus nelsoni nelsoni, or A. n. alter.
> Our breeding A. n. subvirgatus is strictly coastal, A. n. alter. is also
> coastal along James Bay,  but the inland birds Ammodramus nelsoni nelsoni=
,
> breed in freshwater marshes and wet meadows in Alberta and Sakatchewan
> where salt marshes are hard to find. Just as other western birds can get
> lost by ninety degrees in their migration a Nelsons Sparrow from Alberta
> could show up here.
> >
> > George Forsyth
> >
> > On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 15:57, nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > An experienced birder from Ontario who has an older place in Franny=E2=
=80=99s
> Corner, next to E Dalhousie, saw a Nelson=E2=80=99s Sparrow in their fiel=
d with
> some Song Sparrows. He managed to get a photo and is familiar with the
> species. Nelson=E2=80=99s are not regulars around here at any time of yea=
r. He
> eBirded it and it does not come up as rare for the area which is kind of
> strange as there are no sightings recorded for the south center of NS for
> the last ten years(?).
> >
> > Nancy D
> > E Dalhousie, Kings
> >
> > Sent from my iPad

--00000000000073be1e05785aff95

=3D"ltr">On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 at 05:01, NancyDowd &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nanc=
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid=
;padding-left:1ex">Thanks for your info. I am never sure how fine eBird bre=
aks down their rarity classification within counties. But a Nelson=E2=80=99=
s is=C2=A0 definitely an unusual sighting around here.<br>
I noticed a nelsonii subspecies reported from CSI lately and yes, they are =
more likely as an inland Fall migrant in NS at this time of year. The Ontar=
io birder mentioned they see Nelson&#39;s in Fall on their return voyage so=
uth from the prairies population.<br>
Nancy<br>
&gt; On Oct 12, 2018, at 10:00 PM, George Forsyth &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ge4=
syth@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">ge4syth@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; eBird probably only flags birds as rare by county, so East Dalhousie b=
eing only fifty kilometers (as a sparrow flies) from the salt marshes of An=
napolis, Kings and Lunenburg Counties is close. But you are right the habit=
at is not attractive to breeding Nelson&#39;s Sparrows, but a vagrant could=
 show up in any grass area. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; It is possible that the Sparrow is a vagrant from the inland breeding =
population, two subspecies: Ammodramus nelsoni nelsoni, or A. n. alter.=C2=
=A0 Our breeding A. n. subvirgatus is strictly coastal, A. n. alter. is als=
o coastal along James Bay,=C2=A0 but the inland birds Ammodramus nelsoni ne=
lsoni, breed in freshwater marshes and wet meadows in Alberta and Sakatchew=
an where salt marshes are hard to find. Just as other western birds can get=
 lost by ninety degrees in their migration a Nelsons Sparrow from Alberta c=
ould show up here.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; George Forsyth<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 15:57, nancy dowd &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypd=
owd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">nancypdowd@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; An experienced birder from Ontario who has an older place in Franny=E2=
=80=99s Corner, next to E Dalhousie, saw a Nelson=E2=80=99s Sparrow in thei=
r field with some Song Sparrows. He managed to get a photo and is familiar =
with the species. Nelson=E2=80=99s are not regulars around here at any time=
 of year. He eBirded it and it does not come up as rare for the area which =
is kind of strange as there are no sightings recorded for the south center =
of NS for the last ten years(?).<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Nancy D<br>
&gt; E Dalhousie, Kings<br>