[NatureNS] chimney invader

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 22:14:24 -0300

I've had the same starling invaders in my fireplace. ( A colleague of
mine also experienced this this fall.)  In my case, they came down the
Selkirk chimney.  This happened for a few years, but not lately.  It can
make you believe in ghosts for a brief moment prior to figuring out what
the intermittent fluttering noises are really about that ebb from an
empty room...

(It can also make for sooty drapes when they fly out toward the light of
the nearest window.)  They seem to survive each time very nicely, though
I have some very mixed feelings about starlings.

Donna Crossland

On 2018-10-31 7:54 PM, Judy Tufts wrote:
> Our Ridge Rd chimney invader was finally caught and released this afternoon
> - a young starling - after a rather complicated effort to get access to that
> part of the chimney.  Thankfully it is not a chimney that we use right now.
> Considering how many hours it may have been stuck in that dark trap, the
> speckled youngster appeared to be only slightly disoriented, but once placed
> on a platform bird feeder, it took only a brief rest before taking flight.
>

> Cheers
>

> Judy Tufts
>

>    Judy Tufts
>
>     Wolfville