[NatureNS] Big Bang ?

From: Burkhard Plache <burkhardplache@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 20:32:28 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi David,

the model of the expansion of the universe (Big Bang model) does not
rely solely on the red shift of light, but on a number of other
observations.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#Observational_evidence
The current model is a consensus, in fair agreement with those
observations. (As in any model, there are some hm-hm-s.)
Some observations of the universe (horizon, flatness, addressed a bit
further down in the wikipedia article) the big bang model does not
address or explain.
Thus, the model is considered incomplete, or a work in progress.

In the past, there have been ideas to 'explain away the expansion of
the universe' by postulating light might be losing energy over
distance or over time.
None of those ideas have survived observational scrutiny, esp. since
with those modifications, the other observations do not fit into a
larger model.
Like too many balls to juggle at the same time. Thus, Occam's Razor
favours the redshift.

Your suggestion that light might interact with light is generally
valid. Such interactions have been seen in experiments, and are in
agreement with theory (Quantum Electro Dynamics, to be precise).
However, the photon-photon interaction probability is (a) extremely
low, and (b) not a way to systematically lower photon energies (due to
energy conservation).

Your suggestion that 'the most remote sources [...] appear to be
receding faster than the speed of light' is simply not correct or a
misunderstanding.
Not sure where you got that information. Such statements are often
repeated, but that does not make them true.

You may also want to read the 'Misconceptions' section in the
wikipedia article, which addresses your 'In the Beginning' notion.

Sorry to shoot down your suggestions.
You are not the first one to express such ideas,
Burkhard