[NatureNS] Big Bang?

To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 20:44:39 -0400

I've been following this discussion with considerable interest. From
everything I have ever read or heard, the Big Bang theory assumes
everything came from a singularity, a primordial atom that in a sense
was the densest possible black hole. Assuming that is the case, and
assuming that the theory of relativity is correct, it seems to me that
there can be no particle whose light has not had time to reach us. Every
particle should in principle be visible (if we have sensitive enough
"telescopes") though the farther they are away from us, the more distant
in the past would be the image we could detect. That is, we see Alpha
Centauri where and as it was about 4 years ago, the Greater Magellan
Cloud where it was and as it was about 150,000 years ago, etc.

The suggestion that some things have not had time for radiation from
them to reach us seems to require either severe modification or
scrapping of the big bang theory or the theory of special relativity or
both.

Note that it does not really matter if the "primordial atom" were larger
than the commonly assumed point. Unless it was larger in light years
than the age of the universe, radiation from every particle should
implicitly have reached us long since; but that completely tosses the
big bang theory. Of course if you postulate items that neither emit or
reflect radiation, they would be invisible even if they were very close.
That's really outside the scope of this discussion, I think.

Don Codling