[NatureNS] Crown land forests - suggestions for ground-truthing

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 08:08:32 -0400

Fred makes a good suggestion on monitoring surface flow around cuts.  I
would be curious as to the method and tools we could use for this
long-term monitoring.  "Hobo loggers" placed in tiny tubes/wells in
wetlands monitor water level okay, and loggers placed in streams can be
useful, but I am not sure how one would quantify changes in surface run
off from forests vs clearcuts. Someone must have figured this out
somewhere along the way, but I have not come across it.  Perhaps someone
knows exactly how this set up with proper instruments could be carried
out cheaply and easily (always the key factors for long-term monitoring
to be successful).

?

Donna Crossland.

On 2019-03-03 7:35 p.m., Frederick W. Schueler wrote:
> On 03-Mar.-19 5:45 p.m., Bev Wigney wrote:
>
>>   People
>> close to some of the extensive clearcuts on the South Mountain have
>> experienced unusual flooding with mud and water around their homes
>> since the intensive clearcutting began.  They say it is unlike
>> anything they have seen in the past although they have lived at those
>> locations for decades.
>
> * when we were on Vancouver Island in 1987, we were camped at the edge
> of a patch of intact forest surrounded by 17 year clearcuts, and we
> observed that there was never any surface runoff from the forest, but
> only from the clearcut or otherwise human-influenced sites.
>
> A useful kind of ground-truthing would be for those living near
> forests to select sites with comparable slopes which have intact and
> removed or degraded woods, and to record, during heavy rainstorms,
> whether there is surface runoff from each slope or not.
>
> fred.
>          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
>          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
> Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://www.facebook.com/MudpuppyNight/
> 'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
> 4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
>   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
> (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca/
> "Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
>  -
> http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html

---