[NatureNS] Flying Squirrel, fisher, and an impt quote

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 16:50:55 -0400

--------------77BAE7373487F87697D5EE9F

It's nice to read postings by members such as Andrew Steeves about
flying squirrels and fisher sightings.  They are forest dwelling species
that I often think about when knowing that forests are being chopped
down during both day and night.  My father had once cut down a large
hemlock tree that threatened a cottage structure, and the owners wanted
it felled.  As the tree was being felled, several flying squirrels came
dashing out.  Dad felt badly about destroying their nest cavity, knowing
that it might not be easy to find another shelter in the dead of
winter.  Of course this happens everyday/night these days, but harvest
operators are not able to notice as much from "the seat", though some
have told me about flying squirrels leaping about in mature forest at
night as they are chopping and processing.  I am not sure if they draw
the link to their activities.  Perhaps.

Fisher sightings seem to be higher in some locations presently.  Perhaps
they are now crammed into the last bits of forest cover.  I saw a set of
tracks going along the lake edge of Corbett Lake in December, this small
patch of natural forest slated for cutting this spring apparently.

Years ago in NB, there was a sudden increase in the reporting of "black
panthers" from local folks who had clearly seen a large animal with a
long tail and a cat-like walk. Given their habit of following a circuit,
the sightings were predictable and regular in certain places.  I was
able to piece together that the "black panthers" were fisher sightings.
The following year, one was caught in a trap outside the park.  Perhaps
fisher are not as exciting as panther (cougar) sightings (for believers
or otherwise), but nonetheless it's uncommon sighting and notable.
Shortly thereafter, we noted a drop in a very high porcupine population.

I appreciated reading the article forwarded by Nancy Dowd written by
Barry Sabean who has since retired from Kentville Wildlife, DNR.  The
statement of particular importance:

/Mixed forests with a wide variety of tree species makes good fisher
habitat. Although abundance of prey is important, they require *large
areas of continuous overhead cover* and suitable denning sites such as
hollow trees./

The department seems to no longer give this kind of management
consideration to such wildlife, with regards to maintaining "large areas
of continuous overhead cover"; unable to do this with the current
management approaches and mindset in place. Let's hope the fisher are
able to hang on, along with forest songbirds and other species that
require continuous canopy, mature forests.

Donna Crossland

On 2019-03-03 5:36 p.m., nancy dowd wrote:
> Agree wholeheartedly with your comments. After I read of your Fisher
> sighting I looked them up to find out more. This older but very
> informative article gives some background- extirpation,
> reintroductions.  . Wonder how the overall population has fared since?
> You are fortunate to have one nearby (and maybe fewer porcupines).
>
> https://novascotia.ca/natr/wildlife/conserva/fishers.asp
>
> Nancy D
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Mar 3, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Andrew Steeves <andrew@gaspereau.com
> <mailto:andrew@gaspereau.com>> wrote:
>
>> It’s not that uncommon for me to see the markings that their landings
>> make in the snow, but I don’t often get to see flying squirrels in
>> action, I assume largely because they are nocturnal. So I was pretty
>> thrilled to see one gliding across the road last night just as the
>> snow was starting, maybe 20 feet ahead of me. It must have leapt off
>> a pretty high branch and caught a good draft because it made it all
>> the way across the road, from the tree line on one side to the tree
>> line on the other. It was gliding at a pretty shallow angle when it
>> passed me, perhaps 10 feet off the ground. I have no idea which of
>> the two species it was (I understand we have both here in the
>> Gaspereau Valley). This occurred on Davison Street (a rural road with
>> a rather urban sounding name) near Jake Reid Road, Kings County.
>>
>> Another interesting recent sighting of note was of a Fisher along the
>> Gaspereau River near the White Rock. I have seen a Fisher in that
>> same spot multiple years running. Very dark coloration, almost black.
>>
>> I don’t post to this list as often as I should. I appreciate those
>> who do post here regularly. These local reports help us to understand
>> what is going on in other neighbourhoods of the province as well as
>> our own. The protection of our natural world relies not only on the
>> wonder and respect of the citizens who engage with it, but also on
>> the ability of those citizens to communicate that wonder and respect
>> to the rest of society.
>>
>> Andrew Steeves
>> Black River, Kings Co.

---

--------------77BAE7373487F87697D5EE9F

  <head>
  </head>
        !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color:
        rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 12.26px; font-style: normal;
        font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: 0.36px;
        line-height: 14.72px; text-align: left; text-decoration: none;
        text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal;
        word-spacing: 0px;"></span></font>
          members such as Andrew Steeves about flying squirrels and
          fisher sightings.  They are forest dwelling species that I
          often think about when knowing that forests are being chopped
          down during both day and night.  My father had once cut down a
          large hemlock tree that threatened a cottage structure, and
          the owners wanted it felled.  As the tree was being felled,
          several flying squirrels came dashing out.  Dad felt badly
          about destroying their nest cavity, knowing that it might not
          be easy to find another shelter in the dead of winter.  Of
          course this happens everyday/night these days, but harvest
          operators are not able to notice as much from "the seat",
          though some have told me about flying squirrels leaping about
          in mature forest at night as they are chopping and
          processing.  I am not sure if they draw the link to their
          activities.  Perhaps.<br>
          higher in some locations presently.  Perhaps they are now
          crammed into the last bits of forest cover.  I saw a set of
          tracks going along the lake edge of Corbett Lake in December,
          this small patch of natural forest slated for cutting this
          spring apparently.  <br>
          sudden increase in the reporting of "black panthers" from
          local folks who had clearly seen a large animal with a long
          tail and a cat-like walk. Given their habit of following a
          circuit, the sightings were predictable and regular in certain
          places.  I was able to piece together that the "black
          panthers" were fisher sightings.  The following year, one was
          caught in a trap outside the park.  Perhaps fisher are not as
          exciting as panther (cougar) sightings (for believers or
          otherwise), but nonetheless it's uncommon sighting and
          notable.  Shortly thereafter, we noted a drop in a very high
          porcupine population.  <br>
          article forwarded by Nancy Dowd written by Barry Sabean who
          has since retired from Kentville Wildlife, DNR.  The statement
          of particular importance:  <br>
            float: none; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(0, 0,
            0); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
            font-size: 12.26px; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400;
            letter-spacing: 0.36px; line-height: 14.72px; text-align:
            left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px;
            text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
            white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Mixed forests with
            a wide variety of tree species makes good fisher habitat.
            Although abundance of prey is important, they require <b>large
              areas of continuous overhead cover</b> and suitable
          longer give this kind of management consideration to such
          wildlife, with regards to maintaining "large areas of
          continuous overhead cover"; unable to do this with the current
          management approaches and mindset in place.  </font></font><span
        style="display: inline !important; float: none;
        background-color: transparent; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
        Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12.26px;
        font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400;
        letter-spacing: 0.36px; line-height: 14.72px; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px;
        text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
        white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"><font size="+1"><font
            face="Arial">Let's hope the fisher are able to hang on,
            along with forest songbirds and other species that require
        background-color: transparent; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
        Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12.26px;
        font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400;
        letter-spacing: 0.36px; line-height: 14.72px; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px;
        text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
        white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"><font size="+1"><font
            face="Arial"><br>
        background-color: transparent; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
        Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12.26px;
        font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400;
        letter-spacing: 0.36px; line-height: 14.72px; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px;
        text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
        white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"><font size="+1"><font
            face="Arial">Donna Crossland<br>
        background-color: transparent; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
        Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12.26px;
        font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400;
        letter-spacing: 0.36px; line-height: 14.72px; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px;
        text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
        white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"><br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:529603C2-A796-4918-AD72-B99006F73F48@gmail.com">
      Agree wholeheartedly with your comments. After I read of your
      Fisher sighting I looked them up to find out more. This older but
      very informative article gives some background- extirpation,
      reintroductions.  . Wonder how the overall population has fared
      since? You are fortunate to have one nearby (and maybe fewer
      porcupines).
          href="https://novascotia.ca/natr/wildlife/conserva/fishers.asp"
          moz-do-not-send="true">https://novascotia.ca/natr/wildlife/conserva/fishers.asp</a>
            On Mar 3, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Andrew Steeves &lt;<a
              href="mailto:andrew@gaspereau.com" moz-do-not-send="true">andrew@gaspereau.com</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
                charset=UTF-8">
                  to see the markings that their landings make in the
                  snow, but I don’t often get to see flying squirrels in
                  action, I assume largely because they are nocturnal.
                  So I was pretty thrilled to see one gliding across the
                  road last night just as the snow was starting, maybe
                  20 feet ahead of me. It must have leapt off a pretty
                  high branch and caught a good draft because it made it
                  all the way across the road, from the tree line on one
                  side to the tree line on the other. It was gliding at
                  a pretty shallow angle when it passed me, perhaps 10
                  feet off the ground. I have no idea which of the two
                  species it was (I understand we have both here in the
                  Gaspereau Valley). This occurred on Davison Street (a
                  rural road with a rather urban sounding name) near
                  Jake Reid Road, Kings County.</div>
                  sighting of note was of a Fisher along the Gaspereau
                  River near the White Rock. I have seen a Fisher in
                  that same spot multiple years running. Very dark
                  coloration, almost black.</div>
                  often as I should. I appreciate those who do post here
                  regularly. These local reports help us to understand
                  what is going on in other neighbourhoods of the
                  province as well as our own. The protection of our
                  natural world relies not only on the wonder and
                  respect of the citizens who engage with it, but also
                  on the ability of those citizens to communicate that
                  wonder and respect to the rest of society.</div>
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.xmsonormal, li.xmsonormal, div.xmsonormal
	{mso-style-name:x_msonormal;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;