[NatureNS] Multiflora Rose & Robins

From: David Simpson <david.sonsimp@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 14:13:38 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0000000000008849ab05863031df

The how: dig a cone shaped pit in the earth, start a fire in it then pile
in your brush. Keep piling, never letting the material burn to ash. Once
you're out of material douse with water. Should be left with pure carbon.

The why: garden amendment. Soak it in something nutrient rich, compost,
manure, green stuff whatever, to make "biochar". It needed to be disposed
of anyway via burning, and it takes almost no more effort to sequester this
carbon and make a nice amendment than just burning it to ash, as is the
norm.

Tons of vids on demand over at youtube university.

Dave in Currys Corner

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019, 12:55 PM Burkhard Plache, <burkhardplache@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Could you explain the 'charcoal' part of your email?
> The how & why?
>
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 12:27 PM David Simpson <david.sonsimp@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > The thorns arent too bad on my mf roses. Many canes are thornless,
> though it seems as they age their thorns develop. I'm not on a crusade to
> eliminate this plant, I see their value (beauty, habitat, biomass) and I
> know it would be more pain than pleasure to try and eradicate it even from
> my small property. Windsor is absolutely overrun  with it, for better or
> worse. But I will be hacking away at them occasionally to manage edges and
> will continue to burn the material for charcoal.
> >
> > Dave in Currys Corner
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 10, 2019, 11:41 AM David Webster, <dwebster@glinx.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Dave S and All,
> >>
> >>     I am not sure but I suspect flowering would depend more on
> condition and size of the root system than on top growth age and guess
> flowering possible by second year; guess only.
> >>
> >>     A well established plant has a wealth of reserves in the root
> system so only sustained hacking will kill it. With this in mind it is more
> effective to cut shoots 4-5 buds above ground so new shoot growth will
> deplete root reserves and then brush these off before shoot extension
> slows, indicating possible export to the root. I suggest you keep an eye
> open for the thornless strain and keep these. They have tiny thorns only
> which are usually shed early in growth; quite unlike the large vicious
> thorns of some strains. If you do not have any thornless strain you could
> probably locate some nearby and get rooted plants in a month or so by
> layering new growth.
> >>
> >> Dave W. Kentville
> >>
> >>     Based on memory, it has taken more than four years to kill one
> thorned rose which did not have much competition; it still keeps producing
> shoots which I brush off as needed.
> >>

> >> On 4/10/2019 10:26 AM, David Simpson wrote:
> >>
> >> Does mf rose flower on first year growth? I've been hacking away at the
> perimeter of my 1/2 acre lot. Lots of mf rose on the periphery, enough to
> produce 55gallons+ of charcoal and still have lots standing for birds,
> which many species clearly adore. Wondering how aggressively I can attack
> it with an eye to leaving enough for habitat benefits.
> >>
> >> Dave in Currys Corner

--0000000000008849ab05863031df

 in it then pile in your brush. Keep piling, never letting the material bur=
n to ash. Once you&#39;re out of material douse with water. Should be left =
den amendment. Soak it in something nutrient rich, compost, manure, green s=
tuff whatever, to make &quot;biochar&quot;. It needed to be disposed of any=
way via burning, and it takes almost no more effort to sequester this carbo=
n and make a nice amendment than just burning it to ash, as is the norm.</d=
=3D"ltr">On Wed, Apr 10, 2019, 12:55 PM Burkhard Plache, &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:burkhardplache@gmail.com">burkhardplache@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></=
div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-lef=
t:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Could you explain the &#39;charcoal&#39;=
 part of your email?<br>
The how &amp; why?<br>
On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 12:27 PM David Simpson &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:david.=
sonsimp@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">david.sonsimp@gmail=
.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The thorns arent too bad on my mf roses. Many canes are thornless, tho=
ugh it seems as they age their thorns develop. I&#39;m not on a crusade to =
eliminate this plant, I see their value (beauty, habitat, biomass) and I kn=
ow it would be more pain than pleasure to try and eradicate it even from my=
 small property. Windsor is absolutely overrun=C2=A0 with it, for better or=
 worse. But I will be hacking away at them occasionally to manage edges and=
 will continue to burn the material for charcoal.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Dave in Currys Corner<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Wed, Apr 10, 2019, 11:41 AM David Webster, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dw=
ebster@glinx.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">dwebster@glinx.com</=
a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Hi Dave S and All,<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0I am not sure but I suspect flowering would dep=
end more on condition and size of the root system than on top growth age an=
d guess flowering possible by second year; guess only.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0A well established plant has a wealth of reserv=
es in the root system so only sustained hacking will kill it. With this in =
mind it is more effective to cut shoots 4-5 buds above ground so new shoot =
growth will deplete root reserves and then brush these off before shoot ext=
ension slows, indicating possible export to the root. I suggest you keep an=
 eye open for the thornless strain and keep these. They have tiny thorns on=
ly which are usually shed early in growth; quite unlike the large vicious t=
horns of some strains. If you do not have any thornless strain you could pr=
obably locate some nearby and get rooted plants in a month or so by layerin=
g new growth.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Dave W. Kentville<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Based on memory, it has taken more than four ye=
ars to kill one thorned rose which did not have much competition; it still =
keeps producing shoots which I brush off as needed.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On 4/10/2019 10:26 AM, David Simpson wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Does mf rose flower on first year growth? I&#39;ve been hacking aw=
ay at the perimeter of my 1/2 acre lot. Lots of mf rose on the periphery, e=
nough to produce 55gallons+ of charcoal and still have lots standing for bi=
rds, which many species clearly adore. Wondering how aggressively I can att=
ack it with an eye to leaving enough for habitat benefits.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Dave in Currys Corner<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On Wed, Apr 10, 2019, 9:59 AM David Webster, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:dwebster@glinx.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">dwebster@glinx.co=
m</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Dear All,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 With snow cover limiting feeding choices s=
ince the snow Monday<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; night, Robins have nearly stripped the nearby=C2=A0 Multiflora=
 Roses<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; yesterday and this morning.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>

--0000000000008849ab05863031df--