[NatureNS] History of Black Locust, perception as invasive

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 12:50:19 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000000000000963bb605870c3723

The black locust is an early successional tree of the Appalachian deciduous
forest. That it was planted by Loyalists is pertinent if we can know 2here
that genetic stock came from. With climate change temperature changes are
moving faster than trees so any trees from further south that can make it
here to diversify our forest is a good thing. We worry about "invasive "
trees and shrubs filling the ecological niches created by changed climate
and by abandoned farmland (see rose multiflora in old pastures). Trees and
shrubs from the Appalachian deciduous forest may help prevent the
incursions of exotics. They also replace the trees we are losing due to
disease.. hemlock ash etc.
I have seen pods of Robinia ..the locust..but not found viable seed. Is
this true? Is it due to climate or to incompatibility...that they need
another individual to mate w and can't self pollinate?

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019, 12:01 PM David Simpson, <david.sonsimp@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Curious if anyone knows much about how/when Black Locust came to be
> planted in Nova Scotia. Perhaps it came with the Loyalists following the
> Revolution for use on their homesteads? Or did it come more recently for
> sale in 20th century garden centers?
>
> It is an undeniably utilitarian plant - fast growing, hot burning, rot
> resistant hardwood, mega flowerer, animal fodder (?). It is also considered
> invasive by many, I believe planting is restricted in the NE US.
>
> All to say, im a little conflicted about planting this tree here. Just
> looking for opinions, to discuss this non native, naturalized to NS tree.
>
> Dave in Currys Corner

--000000000000963bb605870c3723

alachian deciduous forest. That it was planted by Loyalists is pertinent if=
 we can know 2here that genetic stock came from. With climate change temper=
ature changes are moving faster than trees so any trees from further south =
that can make it here to diversify our forest is a good thing. We worry abo=
ut &quot;invasive &quot; trees and shrubs filling the ecological niches cre=
ated by changed climate and by abandoned farmland (see rose multiflora in o=
ld pastures). Trees and shrubs from the Appalachian deciduous forest may he=
lp prevent the incursions of exotics. They also replace the trees we are lo=
sing due to disease.. hemlock ash etc.<div dir=3D"auto">I have seen pods of=
 Robinia ..the locust..but not found viable seed. Is this true? Is it due t=
o climate or to incompatibility...that they need another individual to mate=
Simpson, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:david.sonsimp@gmail.com">david.sonsimp@gmail=
gin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"aut=
o">Curious if anyone knows much about how/when Black Locust came to be plan=
ted in Nova Scotia. Perhaps it came with the Loyalists following the Revolu=
tion for use on their homesteads? Or did it come more recently for sale in =
t is an undeniably utilitarian plant - fast growing, hot burning, rot resis=
tant hardwood, mega flowerer, animal fodder (?). It is also considered inva=
sive by many, I believe planting is restricted in the NE US.=C2=A0</div><di=