[NatureNS] White Point, Queens birds

From: "Marg Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: "naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 20:12:03 -0300

Today, April 30, was a bumper day for arrivals. There is a Chipping Sparrow
finally, dapper and feisty, a Rose Breasted Grosbeak male, just coming into
colour, Purple Finches male, female and/or juvenile, at least 8 more Red-
winged Blackbirds, juveniles and young males. I have lost count of the Downy
and Hairy Woodpeckers. Besides them there are Northern Flickers that insist
on drumming away on the Tree Swallow house much to the dismay and
displeasure of the occupants.  Nuthatches, both white and red breasted are
here. Cowbirds males and females, we are over a dozen now. Grackles and they
keep coming, Blue Jays, Juncos, Song and White throated Sparrows,
Goldfinches, a solitary Pine Siskin, Starlings, Robins Yellow rumped
Warblers and ta dah!! a Mallard duck pair.

On Sunday I went down to Andrews Head. There were a few gulls about, one of
which was startlingly white and some what smaller than the others. I am not
sure what it was. I think I have a photo which might help.
At Ragged Harbour, I missed the Willets but heard Killdeer off in the marsh.
I am told there are two lovely large Great blue Herons, I did not see them
but saw one headed that way from West Berlin Wharf area. There I managed to
get photos of two shore birds I need to id yet. It was a lovely day!

A man down the road toward Hunts Point has two beautifully decked out male
Indigo Buntings.

There is so much testosterone on the wing around here it is ... well it is
what it is.
Critters include Chipmunks, Squirrels, Voles, Deer, and a Fox.,
Now if these all stick around through Saturday I'll be quite happy.

Question. I am not sure if Sat. we are to count the number of birds or
simply the species.
Best regards, Marg

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
MargMillard.ca
By Appointment, please