[NatureNS] Scarlet Tanager Wolfville Ridge

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 17:18:35 -0300

Bernard Forsythe phoned to say he had seen a male Scarlet Tanager on the
south facing side of Wolfville Ridge yesterday (Tues) not far from either of
our residences.  When one appears in this area (Bernard has seen them around
his property too) we tend to wonder if there is a link to the breeding pair
that nested on my (Tufts) property in 2001. Unfortunately only the male made
it back in 2002, searching for his former mate. He returned at least four
times that year but sadly did not find her or another mate, and never came
back.

Just about all the tanager sightings in our Ridge area from 1985 to present
2019 have been in May. I keep hoping to wake up early one morning to once
again hear the cheery Scarlet Tanager song announcing its presence in our
garden.

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts