[NatureNS] Sumac question

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 18:58:05 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

There are some reddish stemmed clumping plants, new to this property, with reddish leaves starting up (`1-2” high) between camp and lake (rocky area). Some of the leaves are heading to green. Sumac is my best guess. My question is do Sumac leaves come out as reddish in spring before going over to green? I see mention in guides of the red colour in fall but no indication of that for spring leaves. Sumac is a good wildlife plant so I am happy if it has established itself. Far too wet and squidgy to go down there for a few days (or more) so a photo will have to suffice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/47105062584/in/dateposted-public/

Thanks, Nancy D
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.