Myrrhis odorata: was Re: [NatureNS] Willow and Fir

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.180; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 20:02:37 -0300

Hi John and All,

     A key qualifier is "in season" and sometimes an elastic definition
of 'edible' is needed when the topic is found food.

     After xylem tissue has developed it would likely still be non toxic
but edible only for goats. I tried some greens for supper. the expanded
leaves were too tough to eat but the flower heads (a compact promise of
an inflorescence and flowers to come) were very good. Supposedly the
roots are edible year round.

     It sure has potential to become a very aggressive weed. I have had
it in the garden for 20-30 years and take care to allow no seeds to
mature. And once rooted it is very hard to kill.

     This is not a wild plant but some "edible" wild plants require much
tedious preparation. Whether the notion that all parts are edible is
sound remains a question because my source was internet.

Dave W. in Kentville