[NatureNS] Common nighthawks

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 07:51:00 -0300

It's nice to think that nighthawks may return to livening up our evening
skies with their calls.  There was a lone nighthawk over Corbett Lake,
Annapolis County, on Wednesday night, and I've received reports of
several over Maitland Bridge this week.

Fingers crossed for an increase in their numbers.

I can't help but wonder how the extensive forest cover losses may be
affecting insect development as we move through the seasons.

Donna Crossland

Tupperville

On 2019-05-29 10:03 p.m., Bernard Burke wrote:
> For the first time in a number of years I viewed a small gathering of
> nighthawks which were skimming near the water's surface at Red Bridge
> Pond in Dartmouth. I counted at least 6, but I am thinking there was
> likely more than that. It was difficult to determine the exact number
> due to diminished light at 9 pm, along with the dark background
> reflecting on the water.
> Bernard Burke
> Dartmouth

---