[NatureNS] Nocturnal migration for the 1st Week of June-thank you!

From: "John Kearney" <j.f.kearney@gmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 16:47:21 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D51EE3.02730700

Hi Donna,

I'm glad you appreciate the reports!

I did my breeding bird survey route yesterday. I also noticed that the
number of American Redstarts was down, and I was missing a few expected
species like Winter Wren. I agree with you that the cold, wet weather could
have had a toll. Let's hope the weather improves, and there is enough
resilience in our swallows and neotropical birds to make the best of the
time that remains in June and July.

The young European Starlings were fledged but still close to the nest at the
time of my route; done on the same weekend this year and last. Since there
are quite a few of these, I thought it would be interesting to compare the
counts in the two years to see if there might be an indication of a weather
effect. So, the count this year was 94 (mostly young) starlings compared to
93 last year. Maybe the starlings are a hopeful sign!

John