[NatureNS] Nocturnal migration for the 1st Week of June-thank you!

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 14:59:55 -0300

--------------2F7DBA752CCE69CDD9CF7ED2

John:

Your reports have been wonderfully informative and interesting, John.
I, and  I am sure others, greatly appreciated knowing when which species
arrived, which often corresponded with what we were observing, but could
only surmise that they had just arrived.

On another note, I conducted 5, 10 min point counts this AM in mature,
late successional forest near a lake.  The weather was good, but I was
surprised by the absence of some species.  Of note, there were no
vocalizations of LEFL, AMRE, and BAWW.  YRWA was occasional only.  Among
the species that were present were: NOPA, MAWA, BLBW, BTNW, BTBW, SWTH,
REVI, OVEN (but fewer than expected),  WIWR, and PUFI. This is not an
exhaustive list, as I haven't time to summarize them all just now.  I
question whether the very cold and very wet weather through much of the
period since their arrival has dampened some of the breeding activity.
There was quite a deluge in the area on Thursday, enough to flood some
cup nests.  Hopefully this is a temporary glitch, or my observations
were just an anomaly.

Thanks,

Donna

On 2019-06-09 11:28 a.m., John Kearney wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Nocturnal migration diminished throughout the first week of June to
> almost no activity by the end of the week. The most common bird was
> the Common Yellowthroat (11 estimated birds). Among the late arrivals
> were Canada Warbler (2 estimated birds) and Common Nighthawk (2
> estimated birds). The most unusual bird for the week was an Indigo
> Bunting at 7 minutes past midnight on 5 June.
>
> This will be the last weekly report until the autumn migration.
>
> John

---

--------------2F7DBA752CCE69CDD9CF7ED2

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      John.  I, and  I am sure others, greatly appreciated knowing when
      which species arrived, which often corresponded with what we were
      observing, but could only surmise that they had just arrived.</p>
      mature, late successional forest near a lake.  The weather was
      good, but I was surprised by the absence of some species.  Of
      note, there were no vocalizations of LEFL, AMRE, and BAWW.  YRWA
      was occasional only.  Among the species that were present were:
      NOPA, MAWA, BLBW, BTNW, BTBW, SWTH, REVI, OVEN (but fewer than
      expected),  WIWR, and PUFI. This is not an exhaustive list, as I
      haven't time to summarize them all just now.  I question whether
      the very cold and very wet weather through much of the period
      since their arrival has dampened some of the breeding activity.
      There was quite a deluge in the area on Thursday, enough to flood
      some cup nests.  Hopefully this is a temporary glitch, or my
      observations were just an anomaly.  <br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:000601d51ecf$9c1baa60$d452ff20$@gmail.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
            style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">Hi
            All,<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            throughout the first week of June to almost no activity by
            the end of the week. The most common bird was the Common
            Yellowthroat (11 estimated birds). Among the late arrivals
            were Canada Warbler (2 estimated birds) and Common Nighthawk
            (2 estimated birds). The most unusual bird for the week was
            an Indigo Bunting at 7 minutes past midnight on 5 June.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            report until the autumn migration.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">John<o:p></o:p></span></p>

--------------2F7DBA752CCE69CDD9CF7ED2--