[NatureNS] Good interview about nesting migratory birds on

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Cc: Aleta Karstad <karstad@pinicola.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 16:35:05 -0400

On 17-Jun.-19 3:56 p.m., David Webster wrote:

>  Just to be the Devil's Advocate, one should bear in mind that,
> while or shortly after birds are learning to fly a great many suffer
> collisions with motor vehicles. As an order of magnitude guess I suspect
> about 100 times as many die on highways as in logging operations.  After
> all, logging involves about 1% of woodland annually year round and if
> the critical nesting period spans two months then the area involved is
> (1/6)% or one part in 600.
>
>      Should one be required to walk ahead of motor vehicles during this
> period, blowing a horn during daytime and swinging a lantern at night ?

* back when we had an Environmental Commissioner in Ontario, at least,
he said the Ministry of Transportation was more receptive to
environmental concerns than any other ministry (including environment
and natural resources), so there, at least, lots is being done to reduce
road mortality. some of us even write books about it - https://eco-kare.com/

The Migratory Bird Convention was triggered by the killing of Egrets to
decorate hats - so it's about killing individual Birds. It has always
struck me as sad that it's used to postpone habitat destruction which
knocks out whole populations, regardless of whether the destruction is
done in the breeding season or afterwards. This postponing of habitat
destruction had its origin in the idea that Bird populations were widely
reduced by hunting, so that individual Birds spared by not destroying
their habitat during the breeding season would have other habitat to go
to. This is no longer the case, and if the Birds are to be protected the
habitat must remain intact! So in the case of "the proposed harvest area
between Dalhousie and Corbett Lakes in Annapolis County" Birds are just
an emblem of all the other species which don't have legal protection,
and the postponing of the destruction must be a first step in getting
permanent protection, and towards a plan in which one third of the
forests in each province are to be maintained as oldgrowth or as
maturing towards oldgrowth (a plan which first seemed necessary to me
around 1965).

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://www.facebook.com/MudpuppyNight/
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
"Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
  -
http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html