[NatureNS] Good interview about nesting migratory birds on

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 22:25:31 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

                Corbett-Dalhousie Lake
David and all,

At Corbett-Dalhousie Lake where Swifts are being seen low over the
forest at intervals throughout the day -- seen by as many as 50 people
a week ago Sunday -- the "problem" is that the hardwood stand has many
very large Yellow Birch with cavities -- sort of typical of those
trees.  Bernard Forsythe came out to the forest to look for nests and
tentatively identified a "possible" nest tree for the Swifts, but as
far as I know, this has not been confirmed and there are other very
suitable trees throughout the area.  Unfortunately, on the part of the
same hardwood stand that was actually logged last autumn, quite a few
"hollow" or "cavity trees" were cut down -- and they are lying in the
mud out in the log yard -- although lately, I notice that they are
gradually being spirited away.  They should have been left standing
where they would have provided nesting habitat for birds, flying
squirrels, porcupine, or other creatures.  I expect eventually what
remains of the hollow trees will be hauled off to be chipped for
biomass for one of the mills.  In any case, this is the "problem" with
not doing proper tree marking.  You have operators guessing which
trees to fell and then finding they have cavities or a hollow area in
the trunk and they end up hauled out of the forest and tossed in the
cull log pile.  If qualified tree markers were employed, as I am told
is the law on Crown land forest in Ontario, maybe there wouldn't be so
much "accidental destruction" of trees suitable for wildlife.
Unfortunately, that seems to be too complicated and high tech for the
forest industry here in Nova Scotia, so we continue to do things the
old "by guess and by golly" way.

bev wigney
round hill, ns