[NatureNS] Bird Habitats

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 10:08:12 -0400

            worse environmentalist than Trump), but who told m
On 18-Jun.-19 10:19 a.m., John and Nhung wrote:

> My response to the “What good are they?” (They being Atlantic Coastal
> plains flora.) was that you never know what sort of medically beneficial
> chemicals are waiting to be discovered in some plant species and that
> the rare lants around our lakes are a tourist attraction.  (True, eh?)
>
> But I’m slow on the draw.  We do need to marshal more arguments.

* the classic reply to the "What good is it?" query is "What good are
you?" I'm sure there are subtler philosophical phrasing of this which
might be less offensive to the inquirer.

Here's a classic analysis of a related problem:

"Why is Diversity important? If you can ask that question you probably
couldn't understand the answer." (Wade Davis, ethnobotanist, on
Tapestry, CBC Radio 1, 16 Oct 2000).

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://www.facebook.com/MudpuppyNight/
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
"Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
  -
http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html