[NatureNS] Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes)?

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Peter Payzant <peter@payzant.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 18:42:53 -0300

--------------FD4711E82A1F97F981970E1A

No question, Black Swallowtail
<https://novascotiabutterflies.ca/ss.cgi?s=blsw>.

--- Peter Payzant

On 2019-06-19 6:06 PM, NancyDowd wrote:
> Not too good with butterflies but, based on the Martimes Butterfly Atlas profiles, I think this one is a Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes). The only other possibility would be the Short-tailed Swallowtail, which I read is much rarer. Please correct the ID if wrong. Here are two pics plus a short and shaky video of it feeding which is an argument in favour of dandelions:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48094386457/in/dateposted/
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48094283736/in/dateposted/
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48094384847/in/dateposted/
>
> Thanks, Nancy D

--------------FD4711E82A1F97F981970E1A

  <head>
  </head>
    No question, <a moz-do-not-send="true"
      href="https://novascotiabutterflies.ca/ss.cgi?s=blsw">Black
      Swallowtail</a>.<br>
    --- Peter Payzant<br>
      cite="mid:FC467891-E8D6-4378-94C8-EEDA179F2D65@gmail.com">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">Not too good with butterflies but, based on the Martimes Butterfly Atlas profiles, I think this one is a Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes). The only other possibility would be the Short-tailed Swallowtail, which I read is much rarer. Please correct the ID if wrong. Here are two pics plus a short and shaky video of it feeding which is an argument in favour of dandelions:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48094386457/in/dateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48094283736/in/dateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48094384847/in/dateposted/

Thanks, Nancy D