[NatureNS] Bird Habitats

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 21:02:11 -0300

    &lt;p&gt;    In a nutshell, he has devis
--------------36D5981B8A8E49751EBF5451

Hi All,

     I think John Muir touched on this question with his observation
that "Everything is connected."

     The notion that some 'useless' plant may contain the cure for some
disease is a cop out because it implies that, if it were not to contain
some cure then it would indeed be useless. Rare plants or animals may be
on the road to oblivion, waiting for a break or about to  become more
common if conditions were to change.

     When in doubt about values it helps to read a few passages in "A
Sand County Almanac." and reflect. Or examine the stigma of a Luzula
with a 6x hand lens. Or reflect that arrangement of only four bases on
DNA describes precisely all possible life from day one to eternity.

     They all have a story to tell and sometimes one can guess the
essence; ability to disperse propagules to naturally cultivated soil,
ability to survive where other plants can not....ability to conserve
water blown in as snow and make it last a year. But I digress.

     I recently came across an example of the unlikely magic which can
surface in nature (American Scientist March April, 1977 The plant animal
interface in freshwater ecosystems. Karen G. Porter:159-170). In one
study, using algae containing radioactive tracer and a closed test
chamber immersed in a eutrophic lake during periods of peak zooplankton
abundance,  the grazer zooplankton  filtered the test sample 4.69 times
during one day (469%). This rate was I gather measured by the rate at
which radioactive algae became radioactive grazer zooplankton.

     And the short answer, less personal than the "What are you good for
?" is  "What is anything good for".

     Or one could refer to the Ancient Mariner; "He prayeth best who
lovest best All things both great and small; For the good Lord who
loveth us, He made and loveth all."

Dave Webster, Kentville

On 6/18/2019 11:19 AM, John and Nhung wrote:

> My response to the “What good are they?” (They being Atlantic Coastal
> plains flora.) was that you never know what sort of medically
> beneficial chemicals are waiting to be discovered in some plant
> species and that the rare lants around our lakes are a tourist
> attraction.  (True, eh?)
>
> But I’m slow on the draw.  We do need to marshal more arguments.
>
> Re. Brazil and Balsonaro, I cringe.  Then I listen to some of the
> complaints some people in Canada make and boy, we may have problems,
> some of ‘em serious, but we had better appreciate what we have and
> we’d better not take it for granted.  A lot of us need to look
> outside, and think.

  <head>
  </head>
      observation that "Everything is connected." <br>
      some disease is a cop out because it implies that, if it were not
      to contain some cure then it would indeed be useless. Rare plants
      or animals may be on the road to oblivion, waiting for a break or
      about to  become more common if conditions were to change.  <br>
      "A Sand County Almanac." and reflect. Or examine the stigma of a
      Luzula with a 6x hand lens. Or reflect that arrangement of only
      four bases on DNA describes precisely all possible life from day
      one to eternity. <br>
      essence; ability to disperse propagules to naturally cultivated
      soil, ability to survive where other plants can not....ability to
      conserve water blown in as snow and make it last a year. But I
      digress.</p>
      can surface in nature (American Scientist March April, 1977 The
      plant animal interface in freshwater ecosystems. Karen G.
      Porter:159-170). In one study, using algae containing radioactive
      tracer and a closed test chamber immersed in a eutrophic lake
      during periods of peak zooplankton abundance,  the grazer
      zooplankton  filtered the test sample 4.69 times during one day
      (469%). This rate was I gather measured by the rate at which
      radioactive algae became radioactive grazer zooplankton.</p>
      good for ?" is  "What is anything good for".</p>
      who lovest best All things both great and small; For the good Lord
      who loveth us, He made and loveth all."</p>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:009001d525e0$cffbdef0$6ff39cd0$@eastlink.ca">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">My
            response to the “What good are they?” (They being Atlantic
            Coastal plains flora.) was that you never know what sort of
            medically beneficial chemicals are waiting to be discovered
            in some plant species and that the rare lants around our
            lakes are a tourist attraction.  (True, eh?) <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">But
            I’m slow on the draw.  We do need to marshal more arguments.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Re.
            Brazil and Balsonaro, I cringe.  Then I listen to some of
            the complaints some people in Canada make and boy, we may
            have problems, some of ‘em serious, but we had better
            appreciate what we have and we’d better not take it for
            granted.  A lot of us need to look outside, and think.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"
              lang="EN-US">From:</span></b><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"
            lang="EN-US"> naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca
            [mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Richard
            Stern<br>
            <b>Subject:</b> Re: [NatureNS] Bird Habitats<o:p></o:p></span></p>
[...]
                do others address this issue?<o:p></o:p></p>
              1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm
              6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0cm">
                  1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm
                  6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0cm">
                        style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><o:p> </o:p></p>
                  Richard Stern, <br>
                  Port Williams, NS, Canada<br>
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>

--------------36D5981B8A8E49751EBF5451--