[NatureNS] Warbler Wave and Migrants

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 21:42:42 -0300

D'&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span
--------------5AB660AF34D85D07DA59EB67

Very cool to learn of the multi-species juvenile birds potentially
looking for food from the Bank swallows.  I guess a meal is a meal.

I didn't have time to check on the Tupperville Bank swallow colony this
year, nor the Eastern bluebirds in Bear River that nested there last
year in a nest box.  The season flies by all too quickly.  Sad to see
them go.

Donna Crossland

Tupperville

On 2019-08-06 10:26 p.m., James Hirtle wrote:
> I had my first warbler wave move through the yard this morning in
> regards to migration.  On a bird outing to Branch LaHave, I had a tree
> with three eastern wood pewees on it.  I heard at least two others
> calling in that area, which with warblers and other species suggests
> migrating birds moving through there also.
>
> Last night I took a drive to Broad Cove.  I watched two juvenile bank
> swallows being fed by adults on the wires beside the road. Interesting
> was that two or three yellow-rumped warbler juveniles and barn swallow
> juveniles and black-capped chickadee juveniles kept landing beside the
> juvenile bank swallows and sometimes crowded them to the point of
> making them move.  I got the impression that they were looking for
> free handouts from the adults bank swallows when they came in to feed
> the young.  I've never seen this activity before.
>
> The eastern bluebirds in Back Cornwall I was told as of today moved
> out a week ago.
>
> I never posted it as they did not stick around, but about a week ago,
> Lise Bell had two juvenile yellow-crowned night herons on Bush Island.
>
> James R. Hirtle
> LaHave

---

--------------5AB660AF34D85D07DA59EB67

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      potentially looking for food from the Bank swallows.  I guess a
      meal is a meal.  <br>
      colony this year, nor the Eastern bluebirds in Bear River that
      nested there last year in a nest box.  The season flies by all too
      quickly.  Sad to see them go.<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:YQBPR0101MB1332756C33505E218AE6B6E4B5D40@YQBPR0101MB1332.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM">
        charset=windows-1252">
        font-size: 24pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        I had my first warbler wave move through the yard this morning
        in regards to migration.  On a bird outing to Branch LaHave, I
        had a tree with three eastern wood pewees on it.  I heard at
        least two others calling in that area, which with warblers and
        other species suggests migrating birds moving through there
        also.</div>
        font-size: 24pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 24pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        Last night I took a drive to Broad Cove.  I watched two juvenile
        bank swallows being fed by adults on the wires beside the road.
        Interesting was that two or three yellow-rumped warbler
        juveniles and barn swallow juveniles and black-capped chickadee
        juveniles kept landing beside the juvenile bank swallows and
        sometimes crowded them to the point of making them move.  I got
        the impression that they were looking for free handouts from the
        adults bank swallows when they came in to feed the young.  I've
        never seen this activity before.</div>
        font-size: 24pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 24pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        The eastern bluebirds in Back Cornwall I was told as of today
        moved out a week ago.  </div>
        font-size: 24pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 24pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        I never posted it as they did not stick around, but about a week
        ago, Lise Bell had two juvenile yellow-crowned night herons on
        Bush Island.  </div>
        font-size: 24pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 24pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        James R. Hirtle</div>