[NatureNS] Cornell Article

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 21:44:00 -0300

--------------EBE7B1ECAAB2610172B8BDF4

Hi Donna & All,

     Excepting special situations, such as sandy scrubland with
volunteer Lowbush Blueberry which often caught fire after the berries
were gone and resulted in future good berry yields the effects of fire
in NS are generally negative I think.

     I don't know how widespread this was but from the mid 30's to
beyond the 60s there was a local Fire Warden (?) in the Cambridge area
who organized fire fighting in woodland and kept a supply of backpack
tanks, shovels etc. on hand in event of need; for fighting fires or
burning headlands.

     In the dirty thirties fire suppression helped the unemployed eat.
Those who timed it well would get a good fire going before the alarm
sounded, get hired on the spot and go home with some ready cash.

     The main impact that European settlement had on woodland was
clearing of the better soils for agricultural purposes and leaving soils
with site or physical problems for woodland. Consequently a huge
increase in forest productivity would be possible if these limitations
were corrected. This is illustrated indirectly by the Irving approach to
purchase abandoned farmland, improve it (In about 1980 they hired a full
time Soil Scientist to examine profiles and prescribe corrective
measures) and practice whole tree harvest. This makes economic sense if
the first 200 cm is not mostly rock because about half of the wood in a
tree is below ground.

     There are numerous folk tales about land so poor that Rabbits had
to pack a lunch when crossing it or just sat down and cried when they
saw it. These refer to woodland which was cleared for farming but found
wanting. Such sites would be suitable for forestry after profile
improvement. But I digress.

     Many of our forest soils are just a dusting of mineral soil and a
few inches of organic matter over shallow fragmented bedrock or shallow
water table. Fire there would have long-lasting negative effects.
Offhand I can not think of any forests in NS which would benefit from fire.

Yt, DW, Kentville