[NatureNS] Cornell Article

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 19:02:41 -0300

--------------C6A3264A3E5A06247B589A41

Hi Donna & All.

     I am puzzled by your statement that "the frequent land clearance
and logging slash fires during European settlement changed much of our
forest character, right down to the soils in many cases."

     It is no doubt true that brush was burned on land intended to be
cleared. In my parent's time and somewhat in my time, the steps for
clearing land were brush burning, followed in the spring by tillage with
a burntland harrow then used as pasture till the stumps could be
removed.... And logging brush was no doubt burned, to remove a fire
hazard, if it was near buildings. But I have never heard of logging
brush being burned otherwise.

     But, burned or not, how would this burning change the soil ? The
relevant features of a soil profile may, in extreme cases, lay more than
two meters below the surface. Small volumes of soil, near the surface,
may be rendered non-wettable by fire but, having examined a large number
of soil profiles to study current/historical root distribution I am sure
that many other profile features are far more important.

     For example just an abrupt change in soil texture can cause shallow
rooting. More frequently the barrier is soil compaction due to prolonged
exposure to excess water; as in mudpuddles.

     Soils and soil problems remind me of Leo Tolstoy's opening passage
in Anna Karenina; "Happy families are all alike, every unhappy family is
unhappy in its own way."

     Also I wonder about "It is easy to confuse the heightened fire
frequencies during the 1780s-/ca./1900 as being 'natural' when they were
ignited by our forefathers for one reason or another."

     Certainly fire would have been feared more then than currently. Now
one could call the fire department and relax while they put it out. Not
so then. And no doubt fire breaks were burned near buildings as was
traditional in rural areas as recently as 1945. And fire break fires
sometimes get out of hand leading to loss of buildings or woodland. But
I can not imagine why anyone would set fires in woodland.

     What is the evidence that nearby woodland was burned on purpose
during this period ?

YT, DW, Kentville