[NatureNS] Swamp plant ID

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 12:32:59 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

This one was way back in the woods along an OHV trail in E Dalhousie, Kings Co. When I read the description of C palustris aka Water Arum or Wild Calla in Flora of NS its rooting at nodes would explain the isolated groupings but “Plants arise on stout stems, reaching 30–40cm in height.” seems a bit higher than this one. But I was looking down on it so perhaps not judging height too well. This is a totally new plant to me and unexpected and I must visit it earlier in the season to catch the flowering.

An observer would have to be much more adventurous than myself to assess this plant other than by a photo- The thick alders, mud and murky water of unknown depth make it very inaccessible without destroying a lot of habitat or lowering a boat. Cameras do have their place for ID purposes.

Nancy