[NatureNS] Swamp plant ID

From: David Patriquin <davidgpatriquin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 14:02:10 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000000000000b0f0ce05907b4d01

Here is a pic I took from a distance of  flowering plants on forested
gypsum lands June 15, 2008:
 http://versicolor.ca/cpalustris.jpg

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 12:41 PM NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:

> This one was way back in the woods along an OHV trail in E Dalhousie,
> Kings Co. When I read the description of C palustris aka Water Arum or Wi=
ld
> Calla in Flora of NS its rooting at nodes would explain the isolated
> groupings but =E2=80=9CPlants arise on stout stems, reaching 30=E2=80=934=
0cm in height.=E2=80=9D
> seems a bit higher than this one. But I was looking down on it so perhaps
> not judging height too well. This is a totally new plant to me and
> unexpected and I must visit it earlier in the season to catch the
> flowering.
>
> An observer would have to be much more adventurous than myself to assess
> this plant other than by a photo- The thick alders, mud and murky water o=
> unknown depth make it very inaccessible without destroying a lot of habit=
at
> or lowering a boat. Cameras do have their place for ID purposes.
>
> Nancy
>
> > On Aug 19, 2019, at 12:04 PM, David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Nancy & All,
> >
> >     It had to happen eventually; a plant I could ID from a photo: Calla
> palustris.
> >
> > Dave Webster, Kentville
> >
> > On 8/19/2019 11:38 AM, NancyDowd wrote:
> >> Wondering if someone could ID this plant for me as I cannot pin it
> down. It is obviously yellowing as the season wanes. The larger leaves ar=
> ~3=E2=80=9D long. It is fleshy and waxy. There was a plant(s) on either s=
ide of a
> bridge over a stillwater but I did not see any others along the edges fro=
> where I was standing.
> >> One side of bridge:
> >> https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48575941502/in/dateposted/
> >>
> >> The other side:
> >>
> >> https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48575939642/in/dateposted/
> >>
> >> Close-up of yellowing leaf:
> >>
> >> https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48575942932/in/dateposted/
> >>

> >> Thanks, Nancy D

--000000000000b0f0ce05907b4d01

ants on forested gypsum lands June 15, 2008:<div>=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://ve=
rsicolor.ca/cpalustris.jpg">http://versicolor.ca/cpalustris.jpg</a></div></=
 Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 12:41 PM NancyDowd &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@g=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(2=
04,204,204);padding-left:1ex">This one was way back in the woods along an O=
HV trail in E Dalhousie, Kings Co. When I read the description of C palustr=
is aka Water Arum or Wild Calla in Flora of NS its rooting at nodes would e=
xplain the isolated groupings but =E2=80=9CPlants arise on stout stems, rea=
ching 30=E2=80=9340cm in height.=E2=80=9D seems a bit higher than this one.=
 But I was looking down on it so perhaps not judging height too well. This =
is a totally new plant to me and unexpected and I must visit it earlier in =
the season to catch the flowering. <br>
An observer would have to be much more adventurous than myself to assess th=
is plant other than by a photo- The thick alders, mud and murky water of un=
known depth make it very inaccessible without destroying a lot of habitat o=
r lowering a boat. Cameras do have their place for ID purposes.<br>
Nancy<br>
&gt; On Aug 19, 2019, at 12:04 PM, David Webster &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dweb=
ster@glinx.com" target=3D"_blank">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Hi Nancy &amp; All,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0It had to happen eventually; a plant I could ID fro=
m a photo: Calla palustris. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Dave Webster, Kentville<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On 8/19/2019 11:38 AM, NancyDowd wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Wondering if someone could ID this plant for me as I cannot pin it=
 down. It is obviously yellowing as the season wanes. The larger leaves are=
 ~3=E2=80=9D long. It is fleshy and waxy. There was a plant(s) on either si=
de of a bridge over a stillwater but I did not see any others along the edg=
es from where I was standing.<br>
&gt;&gt; One side of bridge: <br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48575941502=
/in/dateposted/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.flickr.co=
m/photos/150605880@N07/48575941502/in/dateposted/</a><br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; The other side:<br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48575939642=
/in/dateposted/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.flickr.co=
m/photos/150605880@N07/48575939642/in/dateposted/</a><br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; Close-up of yellowing leaf: <br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/48575942932=
/in/dateposted/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.flickr.co=
m/photos/150605880@N07/48575942932/in/dateposted/</a><br>