[NatureNS] Woodlot management

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 08:46:34 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

David (and all).

Interesting.  I checked and a few copies are still available from used
book sellers.  I also looked up E.S. Richards and found  that, in
1938, he was the "timber cruiser and appraiser" hired by the Federal
District Commission to evaluate privately owned woodlots that would
later be acquired - many by expropriation - to form Gatineau Park.  He
was also the first Gatineau Park Superintendent  (Michael Christopher
Lait, thesis, Carleton University, 2017).

Further to the topic of woodlot management, last week, the Chronicle
Herald published an article by Josh Noseworthy, director of
conservation science for the Nature Conservancy of Canada, Atlantic
region and lead author of NCC’s Acadian Forest Restoration Manual.
I'll post the link below.  The article linked to the "restoration
manual" mentioned by Noseworthy -- I'll provide the link here as well.
I downloaded it yesterday -- you have to answer a few brief questions
first and then they email you an access link.  I have been too busy
this last few days, sawing up a large old Locust tree felled by
Dorian, so have not had time to do more than peruse the manual, but it
looks quite interesting. I see a number of familiar names listed as
reviewers and contributors (Bob Bancroft, Alain Belliveau, and
others), and many beautiful tree and forest photos by Alain as well.
Worth a read, I think.

Link to Chronicle Herald article by Josh Noseworthy:
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/local-perspectives/josh-noseworthy-our-future-may-depend-on-restoring-the-acadian-forest-365607

Link to the download page for the NCC's Acadian Forest Restoration Manual:
https://form.jotform.com/81094912625256

Bev Wigney
Round Hill, NS