[NatureNS] Woodlot management

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 20:12:28 -0300

Dear All,

     I recently was given a copy of "Farm Woodlots in Eastern Canada" by
E. S. Richards Ottawa 1939. In those days they had the good sense to
have the  National Research Council involved; I gather in a guidance and
editorial capacity.

     It is well written and, to an unexpected extent, could be called
'How D. H. Webster will improve forest productivity by selectively
extracting firewood or logs.'

     So when he says "Do not clearcut", and explains why, I am inclined
to pay attention. All the more so because this was written before 1939;
a time when cutting would be by axe or crosscut saw. And typically it is
much easier and faster to thin or selectively cut by chainsaw, or
thinning saw, than it is by axe or crosscut.

     A 15 year period is cited for a Spruce to reach 4.5' in height and
30 years to yield two cord per acre. In contrast the 30 years between
age 50 and 80 yields 30 cord/acre. So selective cutting avoids that
initial 30 years when volume increment is near zero by creating small
pedons of low competition on which young trees can become established.

     This advantage of selective cutting may be offset to some degree by
planting after clear cut. But I wonder if widespread planting of Spruce
is not asking for widespread forest death 40 years hence.

     I have read only the first 30 pages of 120, so I may be jumping the
gun, but if some who oppose clearcuts have not seen this publication
then they may wish to start searching.

     And Richards stresses, e.g. that care should be taken to avoid
tree-free patches which are exposed to full sunlight for an appreciable
part of the day. To reestablish trees in such clearings it may be
necessary to plant.  Amen to that. On sandy soil, I have some patches
which are tree free after 70 years.

YT, DW, Kentville