[NatureNS] Hate Changes To E-Bird

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 12:39:31 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-D871591C-7FDE-4E5C-A670-9EAB5F09F6D8

I am always in airplane mode. For whatever reason the gps does not function i=
n this area either and also burns out the battery while aimlessly searching-=
 does the same thing in the camp although online. To add a location on eBird=
 I have to travel elsewhere as the map will not function in any mode. I have=
 heard similar things with vehicle gps- some say it works so long as you tur=
n it on before reaching the area but it will not work if you wait until you a=
re here in the dead zone. A hand-held gps generally works though. Basically I=
 remain offline at all times when out so I always have enough battery to rec=
ord bird vocalizations. Sometimes it is nice to be unreachable.=20

Nancy

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 27, 2019, at 11:03 AM, Kevin Lantz <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> If your problem is lack of cell service the phone will search and use up t=
he battery whenever it is on, whether the eBird  app is running or not. Try o=
pperating in flight mode, the phone's gps should still work and that does in=
crease the draw on the battery somewhat but not nearly as much as searching f=
or a signal.=20
> I am often in areas without cell coverage for extended periods and seldom h=
ave any issues. I do carry an external battery  though because the track/gps=
 is often on all day.
>=20
> Kevin
>=20
> On Oct 26, 2019 17:22, nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:
> I never thought about the App.  Good point. Virtually unusable here on the=
 go, as it is designed for, due to lack of mobile service. Even offline chec=
klists continue to seek for a location until the battery dies. I only use it=
 when Inside the camp with satellite dish internet (none too good either com=
pared to proper WIFI). But the app would be the way most eBirders submit che=
cklists now and, as you said, most likely what the data entry changes are ce=
ntreed around.=20
>=20
> Nancy D
>=20
> Sent from my iPad
>=20
> On Oct 26, 2019, at 10:01 AM, Kevin Lantz <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> I agree with Richard, for app users it=E2=80=99s not a big deal as uploadi=
ng photos requires logging on with a different device and making the changes=
 after the checklist has been submitted. Perhaps they are catering to app us=
ers or even nudging folks towards them because of the immediacy of data subm=
issions.
>=20
> As for the app itself, the latest changes make it easier to use, just one c=
lick to start a checklist, no need to select a location as that can be done a=
s the checklist is submitted.
>=20
> =20
>=20
> Kevin Lantz
>=20
> =20
>=20
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>=20
> =20
>=20
e new way the Android app on my phone works. There is a great eBird discussi=
on group on Facebook, with all kinds of ideas and input, questions answered e=
tc.
>=20
> Richard Stern
> sent from my Android device
>=20
> =20
>=20
> On Sat., Oct. 26, 2019, 4:12 a.m. NancyDowd, <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:=

>=20
> Agree. It is definitely much more awkward and slow to load photos and audi=
os as it takes multiple steps instead of just one. I suspect it has somethin=
g to do with the efficiency of processing by the ever-growing database (or s=
ome other background big data crunching) that we end users do not quite unde=
rstand. Maybe someone has more info on the whys for this recent change?
>=20
> Nancy D
>=20
> > On Oct 26, 2019, at 12:48 AM, James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com> wrote=
:
> >=20
> > I guess I'm behind on E-bird entries by three months.  I do not like the=
 changes that were made since I last logged in.  The process for attaching p=
ictures especially.  I found it convenient to be able to attach pictures as I=
 entered my data.  It was fast and efficient.  Now you have to complete data=
 entry and then go and put your pictures in place.  Loading of the pictures i=
s far slower and clarity of the photo is lacking in comparison to what we ha=
d before. The system has been made bulky and awkward.
> >=20
> > James R. Hirtle
> > LaHave
>=20
> =20
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-D871591C-7FDE-4E5C-A670-9EAB5F09F6D8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">I am always in airplane mode. For whatever r=
eason the gps does not function in this area either and also burns out the b=
attery while aimlessly searching- does the same thing in the camp although o=
nline. To add a location on eBird I have to travel elsewhere as the map will=
 not function in any mode. I have heard similar things with vehicle gps- som=
e say it works so long as you turn it on before reaching the area but it wil=
l not work if you wait until you are here in the dead zone. A hand-held gps g=
enerally works though. Basically I remain offline at all times when out so I=
 always have enough battery to record bird vocalizations. Sometimes it is ni=
t 27, 2019, at 11:03 AM, Kevin Lantz &lt;klantz@ns.sympatico.ca&gt; wrote:<b=
rch and use up the battery whenever it is on, whether the eBird&nbsp; app is=
 running or not. Try opperating in flight mode, the phone's gps should still=
 work and that does increase the draw on the battery somewhat but not nearly=
 as much as searching for a signal.&nbsp;<div dir=3D"auto">I am often in are=
as without cell coverage for extended periods and seldom have any issues. I d=
o carry an external battery&nbsp; though because the track/gps is often on a=
:22, nancy dowd &lt;nancypdowd@gmail.com&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution">=
olid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto">I never thought about the App.