[NatureNS] Hate Changes To E-Bird

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 14:46:07 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

olid;padding-left:1ex"&gt;&lt;div dir=3D"auto"&gt;I never thought about the App.
--0000000000000e4da70595e7f60c

For all eBird related questions you can join the Facebook group eBird
community discussion group, and there always seem to be people on there who
can help and come up with good suggestions.

Richard Stern
sent from my Android device

On Sun., Oct. 27, 2019, 12:44 p.m. nancy dowd, <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote=
:

> I am always in airplane mode. For whatever reason the gps does not
> function in this area either and also burns out the battery while aimless=
ly
> searching- does the same thing in the camp although online. To add a
> location on eBird I have to travel elsewhere as the map will not function
> in any mode. I have heard similar things with vehicle gps- some say it
> works so long as you turn it on before reaching the area but it will not
> work if you wait until you are here in the dead zone. A hand-held gps
> generally works though. Basically I remain offline at all times when out =
so
> I always have enough battery to record bird vocalizations. Sometimes it i=
> nice to be unreachable.
>
> Nancy
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Oct 27, 2019, at 11:03 AM, Kevin Lantz <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB=BF
> If your problem is lack of cell service the phone will search and use up
> the battery whenever it is on, whether the eBird  app is running or not.
> Try opperating in flight mode, the phone's gps should still work and that
> does increase the draw on the battery somewhat but not nearly as much as
> searching for a signal.
> I am often in areas without cell coverage for extended periods and seldom
> have any issues. I do carry an external battery  though because the
> track/gps is often on all day.
>
> Kevin
>
> On Oct 26, 2019 17:22, nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I never thought about the App.  Good point. Virtually unusable here on th=
> go, as it is designed for, due to lack of mobile service. Even offline
> checklists continue to seek for a location until the battery dies. I only
> use it when Inside the camp with satellite dish internet (none too good
> either compared to proper WIFI). But the app would be the way most eBirde=
rs
> submit checklists now and, as you said, most likely what the data entry
> changes are centreed around.
>
> Nancy D
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Oct 26, 2019, at 10:01 AM, Kevin Lantz <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB=BF
>
> I agree with Richard, for app users it=E2=80=99s not a big deal as upload=
ing
> photos requires logging on with a different device and making the changes
> after the checklist has been submitted. Perhaps they are catering to app
> users or even nudging folks towards them because of the immediacy of data
> submissions.
>
> As for the app itself, the latest changes make it easier to use, just one
> click to start a checklist, no need to select a location as that can be
> [...]

 on there who can help and come up with good suggestions.<br><br><div data-=
smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">Richard Stern<br>sent from my Android device<=
ttr">On Sun., Oct. 27, 2019, 12:44 p.m. nancy dowd, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:n=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc so=
lid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto">I am always in airplane mode. For w=
hatever reason the gps does not function in this area either and also burns=
 out the battery while aimlessly searching- does the same thing in the camp=
 although online. To add a location on eBird I have to travel elsewhere as =
the map will not function in any mode. I have heard similar things with veh=
icle gps- some say it works so long as you turn it on before reaching the a=
rea but it will not work if you wait until you are here in the dead zone. A=
 hand-held gps generally works though. Basically I remain offline at all ti=
mes when out so I always have enough battery to record bird vocalizations. =
 type=3D"cite">On Oct 27, 2019, at 11:03 AM, Kevin Lantz &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:klantz@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">klantz@ns.=
ite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF<div dir=3D"auto">If your problem is lack of=
 cell service the phone will search and use up the battery whenever it is o=
n, whether the eBird=C2=A0 app is running or not. Try opperating in flight =
mode, the phone&#39;s gps should still work and that does increase the draw=
 on the battery somewhat but not nearly as much as searching for a signal.=
=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">I am often in areas without cell coverage for exten=
ded periods and seldom have any issues. I do carry an external battery=C2=
=A0 though because the track/gps is often on all day.</div><div dir=3D"auto=
br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Oct 26, 2019 17:22, nancy dowd &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">nancy=
pdowd@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote style=3D=
"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D=
"auto">I never thought about the App.=C2=A0 Good point. Virtually unusable =
here on the go, as it is designed for, due to lack of mobile service. Even =
offline checklists continue to seek for a location until the battery dies. =
I only use it when Inside the camp with satellite dish internet (none too g=
ood either compared to proper WIFI). But the app would be the way most eBir=
ders submit checklists now and, as you said, most likely what the data entr=
n Oct 26, 2019, at 10:01 AM, Kevin Lantz &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:klantz@ns.sy=
mpatico.ca" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">klantz@ns.sympatico.ca</a>=
=BF<div><p>I agree with Richard, for app users it=E2=80=99s not a big deal =
as uploading photos requires logging on with a different device and making =
the changes after the checklist has been submitted. Perhaps they are cateri=
ng to app users or even nudging folks towards them because of the immediacy=
 of data submissions. </p><p>As for the app itself, the latest changes make=
 it easier to use, just one click to start a checklist, no need to select a=
 location as that can be done as the checklist is submitted.</p><p>=C2=A0</=
ft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=3D550986" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">Mail</=
d #e1e1e1 1pt;padding:3pt 0cm 0cm 0cm"><p style=3D"border:none;padding:0cm"=
><b>From: </b><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" r=
I actually like the changes to eBird, and once I got used to them, also the=
 new way the Android app on my phone works. There is a great eBird discussi=
on group on Facebook, with all kinds of ideas and input, questions answered=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferr=
ight:0cm;margin-bottom:12pt;margin-left:4.8pt">Agree. It is definitely much=
 more awkward and slow to load photos and audios as it takes multiple steps=
 instead of just one. I suspect it has something to do with the efficiency =
of processing by the ever-growing database (or some other background big da=
ta crunching) that we end users do not quite understand. Maybe someone has =
 Oct 26, 2019, at 12:48 AM, James Hirtle &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jrhbirder@ho=
tmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">jrhbirder@hotmail.com</a>&g=
t; wrote:<br>&gt; <br>&gt; I guess I&#39;m behind on E-bird entries by thre=
e months.=C2=A0 I do not like the changes that were made since I last logge=
d in.=C2=A0 The process for attaching pictures especially.=C2=A0 I found it=
 convenient to be able to attach pictures as I entered my data.=C2=A0 It wa=
s fast and efficient.=C2=A0 Now you have to complete data entry and then go=
 and put your pictures in place.=C2=A0 Loading of the pictures is far slowe=
r and clarity of the photo is lacking in comparison to what we had before. =
The system has been made bulky and awkward.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; James R. Hirtl=

--0000000000000e4da70595e7f60c--