[NatureNS] Nature Ballet

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 15:14:51 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Paul,

Great video footage!  Very interesting!  I have never seen anything
quite like that, but I'm not too surprised to see a Red Squirrel
behaving in such a bold way.  Somewhere, I have quite a bit of video
footage of a particularly aggressive Red Squirrel that tried to
control the trees around my bird feeders.  It had apples stashed in
the forks on some branches and would spend hours trying to keep Blue
Jays from getting anywhere near them  The worst though was that it
started attacking a Cottontail rabbit that used to come to the feeders
to clean up what got spilled on the ground.  The squirrel would hide
and wait for the rabbit and then leap out and attack him.  He ripped
the rabbit's ears up quite bad.  I made videos of the attacks.  It was
just bizarre.  The Red Squirrel (possibly even the same nasty one)
would also use my big Collie as a sort of springboard to jump into the
bird feeder tree if the dog fell asleep on the ground next the to the
tree.  The Squirrel would approach and put its front feet on the dog
and give a little push to see if she was awake and if she didnt react,
he'd run back a few feet and then run and jump on the dog's side and
bounce way up into the tree.  I couldn't believe what an incredibly
cheeky creature he was.  Your video depicts a similarly brassy little
guy!

bev