[NatureNS] Great Horned Owl

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:35:22 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt;&gt; James
Hi David and all,

They probably *could*, but do you realize how difficult it is to have
any kind of logging suspended in a forest due to the confirmed
presence of nesting migratory birds - even Species at Risk -- even
though the Migratory Birds Covention Act exists?

A group of us went through all of this at Corbett-Dalhousie Lake last
spring with several expert birders having visited and listened and
observed birds (including Scott Leslie & Cindy Staicer, just to name a
couple of the MANY).  Scott even photographed a Magnolia Warbler on
its nest.  Chimney Swifts were repeatedly seen over the huge partly
hollow Yellow Birch by as many as a group of 50 people at one point.
Bob Bancroft and I both saw a Broad-winged Hawk there -- and I saw it
again a couple of times in the same spot.  Little Brown Bats were
recorded over the forest with Scott Leslie's bat detection audio
equipment.  Even with all of that, there was such incredible
resistance.  *Finally* the logging was suspended due to the presence
of the Chimney Swifts, but only over a huge amount of outcry from the
many, many naturalists and citizens who saw them there every time we
went out to the forest -- but in all likelihood, due to the media
coverage from reporters who visited the woods.  If photographs of
birds on nests, and the listening reports of expert birders cannot
force logging out of a very "bird dense" forest -- I don't really know
what will.

I purchsed an AudioMoth and was about to order 2 or 3 more -- paid for
personally by me -- to help our local naturalist get sound recordings
to use to prove the presence of nesting migratory birds because they
deserve protection.  Please note, it is not just "species at risk"
that are supposed to be protected, but *all* nesting migratory birds
-- contrary to what *some* in the Dept. of Lands and Forestry were
telling us last year.  We verified this through several letters with
the federal government.  However, they won't do much to "enforce"
these regulations -- they are more into "explaining to industry" and
"advising" them how to avoid disturbing birds.  It's a real problem
because the current modus operandi is just destroying bird habitat
and, no doubt, chopping up nesting birds, nests, eggs and young.
Here's an article from last June -- there were plenty more as it was
constantly in the news in several papers and on radio and TV for
several weeks:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/birds-westfor-logging-bridgetown-1.5167928

bev