[NatureNS] The Depths of Winter

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Peter Payzant <peter@payzant.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:05:42 -0400

--------------90D8029B3C73C44D1B763B13

Here's my traditional "Depths of Winter" posting:

Yesterday, February 12, is the coldest day on average* here in Waverley.
The long-term average minimum here for that date is -11.9 degrees.
Today, the temperatures begin their slow climb upwards again, with the
minimum reaching zero degrees on April 16. Can Spring be far off?

--- Peter Payzant

* based on 18 years of data. Not really the average - I use the median
daily minimum and apply a little smoothing. But yesterday is the low
point of the curve!

--------------90D8029B3C73C44D1B763B13

  <head>

  </head>
    Here's my traditional "Depths of Winter" posting:<br>
    Yesterday, February 12, is the coldest day on average* here in
    Waverley. The long-term average minimum here for that date is -11.9
    degrees. Today, the temperatures begin their slow climb upwards
    again, with the minimum reaching zero degrees on April 16. Can
    Spring be far off?<br>
    --- Peter Payzant<br>
      - I use the median daily minimum and apply a little smoothing. But
      yesterday is the low point of the curve!<br>

--------------90D8029B3C73C44D1B763B13--