[NatureNS] Great Horned Owl_playback considerations

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 13:03:47 -0400

&gt;&gt;&gt; in the long-term, will provide more in-depth and reliabl
--------------96B6B38DCD5C48B1BE201374

This was an interesting exchange about owl surveys.

Having participated in the Nocturnal Owl Survey for a number of years
using the playback system provided through Bird Studies Canada (BSC), I
would share some concerns about disturbing owls, but the BSC protocol
should not negatively affect or disturb the owls to a significant
extent.  It really is just once a year for several minutes for any owls
detected along a defined survey route.  After each playback terminates,
one must move to the next site at a reasonable pace by vehicle in order
to complete the entire survey on time.  The next site is located far
enough away (in theory) so as not to be heard by the owls at the
previous stop.  BSC produces some useful population trend analyses from
our observations: Atlantic Nocturnal Owl Survey results
<https://www.birdscanada.org/library/acowlsrpt.pdf>

My concern stems from the playback recordings being used by folks who
are _not _surveying anything, but wanting to see owls 'just for fun'.
This may have negative impacts, taking away from time required to
incubate eggs, forage and feed chicks on a cold winter night, or finding
food for a mate who's incubating eggs.  I don't think this has ever been
addressed in the BSC instructions as some sort of warning about using
their playback outside the normal survey protocol, but it would be a
good idea.  We humans often remain oblivious to how our seemingly benign
activities harm other species.  A posting on websites with bird
songs/calls should possibly also post a warning about harassing wildlife
by repeatedly using the recordings to attract birds during their most
vulnerable breeding period.

People have asked me for the barred owl recordings on various occasions
and I have politely avoided giving it out.  Of course, there are many
ways these days to play owl calls, so perhaps offering an educational
message on potential impacts would be beneficial to the wildlife.  There
is a trade-off when trying to enhance public awareness to the presence
of owls and the wonders of their forest habitat and incurring a small
negative impact in the process.  I think that using a play-back to
enhance some awareness is helpful.  I've had woodlot owners become more
aware and thoughtful about what they are cutting down once they stare
into the liquid brown eyes of a barred owl for a moment.  It's difficult
to get to know our nocturnal wildlife.  Can we embrace the use of some
limited playback to educate and enhance awareness of people who are
completely out of contact with nature, as long as this tool is
accompanied with a message about limiting the use of playback calls, and
potential impacts to breeding birds?

The more passive recording detection using audiomoths should work well
at detecting owls and will definitely be more useful in the long run,
particularly now that we can analyze the digital recordings without
requiring us to actually physically listen to endless recordings.
Computers can process it all for us.  Owls can have long periods where
no calls are emitted so passively listening will not produce results in
all cases.  (Amusingly, I've had times when I wished a saw-whet would
STOP CALLING, barely able to hear myself think!!  Or wanted on occasion
for barred owls to cease hooting after the wondrous novelty of their
hoots had 'worn thin' after 10+ minutes and sometimes attracting
additional owls-noisy, wonderful, but noisy, and long after bedtime with
thoughts turned to an early morning quickly coming.  Shhhh!)

Donna

&