[NatureNS] Great Horned Owl_more thoughts

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 13:06:43 -0400

&
I wrote this a few days back and apparently didn't send it-

Very interesting, Bev.  It's great that you've begun an INaturalist
project on breeding owls, or any sightings.

I think Paul MacDonald mentioned that there were Long-eared owls
reported in Round Hill a few years back.  Strangely, I have never heard
them, though have memorized their call.

There were Great-horned owls nesting in Annapolis Royal one year in a
shade tree near the Academy.  I am not sure if they are still nesting in
the area.  Despite their size, they and their nest are easy to miss.

I used to hear a pair every year on calm cold winter nights, fairly
early in the evening, in East Dalhousie.

A lot of Barred owls likely lost their nest cavity tree in the hurricane
last fall.  (Forestry is rapidly taking care of other potential nest
trees.) It's good to encourage some nest box constructions for those
species who cannot build their own cavity.  We have too many crows in
our neighbourhood to have owls move in and try to nest (too wise?).
They'd have no rest, and likely no nesting success between the crows and
raccoons who will also take over the boxes if they can.  (In my
thinking, there are too many people feeding crows and other corvids
without realizing the negative impacts they have on other bird species.)

Donna