[NatureNS] Great Horned Owl

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 11:38:30 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I usually hear these owls in the distance and my recordings do not end up sounding very good (low sounds carry but do not seem to record well with a phone). But this Great Horned Owl actually woke me up through a closed window at 1AM. So it was very near to the camp and I finally got a decent recording (see below link). It continued hooting for at least 30min at ~30sec intervals and was obviously hooting for a while before I heard it. A persistent hooter for sure. I can hear a second low hoot in the distance plus a higher hoot. So I presume 2 males (low hoots) and at least 1 female (other opinions?). Neat how audio recordings often pick up sounds you missed while doing the recording. This recording has 3 main hoots at first, middle and end- only dedicated people will want to endure the full 1 1/2 minutes:
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/211643361

Nancy D
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.