[NatureNS] WINDSOR CAUSEWAY ON AVON RIVER

From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 11:17:18 -0400

On 3/18/2020 6:48 AM, Nelson Poirier wrote:

> This note is directed to folks who may be concerned about the Avon River
> Causeway in Windsor. I lived in that area when the Avon River flowed
> freely. It is been sad for me to see what has happened this river with
> the erection of a causeway that reduced it to be unrecognizable to the
> way Mother Nature designed.

> A very similar scenario has taken place with the Petitcodiac River in
> Moncton, New Brunswick with a well-intentioned causeway built in 1968
> with fishway and adjustable gates to let the river flow. The huge Fundy
> tides deposited silt that turned it into a barrier choking off the river

* ...resulting in the extinction of the one Canadian population of a
rare Unionid mussel, Alasmidonta heterodon, the Dwarf Wedge Mussel,
because its anadromous host fish couldn't get past the causeway -
https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/species-risk-public-registry/cosewic-assessments-status-reports/dwarf-wedgemussel-appraisal-summary-2009.html

> It took 42 years to get the causeway gates opened and now 52 years later
> a bridge is to be completed within the year to let the river flow free
> again replacing the causeway.

* ...but not allowing Alasmidonta heterodon to come back, because the
nearest surviving population is somewhere in southern Maine. The Avon
River Causeway should be forbidden not just for the harm it will do to
the Avon River's Salmon and other species, but as a memorial to the loss
of the Dwarf Wedge Mussel from Canada.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
'Wildlife on Roads' -
http://doingnaturalhistory.blogspot.ca/2018/03/upcoming-book-wildlife-on-roads-handbook.html
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
"Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
  -
http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html