[NatureNS] bird notes, March 22 to 31, 2020 -- eagle nests etc.

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 21:07:56 -0300

east Wolfville, about 20 &lt;b&gt;
--------------4EE86AA298C9008A454D9226

Hi Jim and all,

     What steps will lead to the Bald Eagle being declared an
overabundant pest ? Young waterfowl must literally be sitting ducks when
there are too many eagles.

     At least 30 years ago I watched a bunch of Eagles taking much
interest in Smelt leaving an arm of the Bras D'or Lakes to swim up a
tiny brook; and wondered how long that run would last. I have not been
back since. Perhaps they have lasted, perhaps not.

Y.T. DW, Kentville

On 3/31/2020 7:39 PM, Jim Wolford wrote:
> [...]
> across the Cornwallis River to an *eagle nest* on the north bank in a
> pine? tree.  Up on top of the tall nest was an *adult female? eagle*.
>
> Next I went west to review the *NOVA DRIVE eagle nest.*  There was
> again no eagle on the nest, but while I was viewing an adult bald
> eagle flushed out of an adjacent tree and flew away.  Thus maybe soon
> this nest will be re-occupied?
>
> Next I drove way northeast to Canning, where the river held only a
> handful of *Canada geese*.
>
> Then on north to SCOTS’ BAY, where I saw 2 *turkey vultures* flying
> together from west to east over the road.
>
> But then I noticed that the *Huntley Road eagle nest has disappeared*,
> perhaps having blown down??
>
> Finally I drove east to *Blomidon*, where the *eagle nest in a
> deciduous tree was occupied by a sitting adult female eagle*.
>
> *MARCH 24/20* — We got a *blizzard of snow,* leaving about 6-8 cm.? on
> ground — ne. wind, chilly, temp. about +1 C. or so.  In our home
> neighborhood in east Wolfville, about 20 *robins* seen, 1 singing male
> *cardinal*, lots of goldfinches (some noticeably turning yellow), 1
> *song sparrow*, plus starlings and crows.
>
> *MARCH 25/20 *— Pat heard multiple singing *cardinals* today near our
> home apartment — beautiful sunny & calm day — and I heard 2 singing
> *song sparrows* plus a singing *mourning dove*.  Also Pat reported a
> *flicker* at our feeders, and I also saw it; our overwintering flicker
> departed over a week ago.
>
> I drove to Grand Pre to check on the *Eye Road eagle nest* again; on
> my arrival, 2 adult bald eagles were perched in tall trees along Eye
> Road just west of the nest, and an immature or subadult eagle was
> perched next to the nest. Then a third *adult eagle flew in and landed
> on the nest and interacted a bit with the 3rd or 4th year immature
> (head whitening)*, then the adult flew away.  Thus I am not sure what
> is happening at this nest this year.  In recent years this nest often
> led the way in being occupied with a sitting adult early in the year.
>
> *MARCH 28/20* — Pat & I drove to *Waterville *to check on the *bald
> eagle nest* north of there for occupancy —*no eagles seen* there at all.
>
> *MARCH 29/20 *— On my walk in our neighborhood in east-end Wolfville,
> lots of *goldfinches singing* in a lovely chorus — also multiple *song
> sparrows (new arrivals?) all singing*, a*calling/singing flicker*,
> plus a couple of *singing red-winged blackbirds*, but no robins to be
> seen.
>
> *MARCH 30/20* — Today Pat spotted a male *brown-headed cowbird* at our
> feeders among a bunch of starlings on the ground.
>
> *MARCH 31/20* — A flock of*25 cedar waxwings* seen in east-end
> Wolfville; also a *crowing male pheasant,* and a single*Am. robin*.
> Also on this very cold day with a stiff ne. wind, 2 singing*song
> sparrows*.  And two *flickers *visited our bird pie at the same time,
> with the male being first — the female had to wait her turn.

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      overabundant pest ? Young waterfowl must literally be sitting
      ducks when there are too many eagles. <br>
      interest in Smelt leaving an arm of the Bras D'or Lakes to swim up
      a tiny brook; and wondered how long that run would last. I have
      not been back since. Perhaps they have lasted, perhaps not.</p>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:B27BFBF1-895E-4B96-B495-821F615F623E@eastlink.ca">
        charset=windows-1252">
          nests</b> checked today:</div>
        an adult eagle;</div>
        eagle seen there;</div>
        nest had an adult eagle on it today.</div>
          mergansers</b> were in Miner’s Marsh today, along with 2
        Canada geese, about 10 mallards, and 3 robins.</div>