[NatureNS] bird notes, March 22 to 31, 2020 -- eagle nests etc.

From: George Forsyth <ge4syth@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 17:35:33 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0000000000006ebe9105a27cfadb

Hi David,
Perhaps a bit premature to even suggest a native species to be a pest. We
might judge that their population is artificially high because of our
manipulation of the habitat, but they were here first!  Today while walking
I was able to photograph a Bald Eagle carrying an introduced species!
See:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S66610958

Sincerely, George Forsyth

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 21:17, David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> But then I noticed that the *Huntley Road eagle nest has disappeared*,
> perhaps having blown down??
>
> Finally I drove east to *Blomidon*, where the *eagle nest in a deciduous
> tree was occupied by a sitting adult female eagle*.
>
> *MARCH 24/20* =E2=80=94 We got a *blizzard of snow,* leaving about 6-8 cm=
.? on
> ground =E2=80=94 ne. wind, chilly, temp. about +1 C. or so.  In our home
> neighborhood in east Wolfville, about 20 *robins* seen, 1 singing male
> *cardinal*, lots of goldfinches (some noticeably turning yellow), 1 *song
> sparrow*, plus starlings and crows.
>
> *MARCH 25/20 *=E2=80=94 Pat heard multiple singing *cardinals* today near=
 our
> home apartment =E2=80=94 beautiful sunny & calm day =E2=80=94 and I heard=
 2 singing *song
> sparrows* plus a singing *mourning dove*.  Also Pat reported a *flicker*
> at our feeders, and I also saw it; our overwintering flicker departed ove=
> a week ago.
>
> I drove to Grand Pre to check on the *Eye Road eagle nest* again; on my
> arrival, 2 adult bald eagles were perched in tall trees along Eye Road ju=
st
> west of the nest, and an immature or subadult eagle was perched next to t=
he
> nest.  Then a third *adult eagle flew in and landed on the nest and
> interacted a bit with the 3rd or 4th year immature (head whitening)*,
> then the adult flew away.  Thus I am not sure what is happening at this
> nest this year.  In recent years this nest often led the way in being
> occupied with a sitting adult early in the year.
>
> *MARCH 28/20* =E2=80=94 Pat & I drove to *Waterville *to check on the *ba=
ld eagle
> nest* north of there for occupancy =E2=80=94* no eagles seen* there at al=
l.

> *MARCH 29/20 *=E2=80=94 On my walk in our neighborhood in east-end Wolfvi=
lle,
> lots of *goldfinches singing* in a lovely chorus =E2=80=94 also multiple =
*song
> sparrows (new arrivals?) all singing*, a* calling/singing flicker*, plus
> a couple of *singing red-winged blackbirds*, but no robins to be seen.
>
> *MARCH 30/20* =E2=80=94 Today Pat spotted a male *brown-headed cowbird* a=
t our
> feeders among a bunch of starlings on the ground.
>
> *MARCH 31/20* =E2=80=94 A flock of* 25 cedar waxwings* seen in east-end
> Wolfville; also a *crowing male pheasant,* and a single* Am. robin*.
> Also on this very cold day with a stiff ne. wind, 2 singing* song
> sparrows*.  And two *flickers *visited our bird pie at the same time,
> with the male being first =E2=80=94 the female had to wait her turn.

--0000000000006ebe9105a27cfadb

uggest a native species to be a pest. We might judge that their population =
is artificially high because of our manipulation of the habitat, but they w=
ere here first!=C2=A0 Today while walking I was able to photograph a Bald E=
agle carrying an introduced species!=C2=A0 See:=C2=A0 <a href=3D"https://eb=
ird.org/checklist/S66610958">https://ebird.org/checklist/S66610958</a></div=
s=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, 31 Mar 2020=
 at 21:17, David Webster &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com">dwebster=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
ared an
      overabundant pest ? Young waterfowl must literally be sitting
      ducks when there are too many eagles. <br>
 taking much
      interest in Smelt leaving an arm of the Bras D&#39;or Lakes to swim u=
      a tiny brook; and wondered how long that run would last. I have
      not been back since. Perhaps they have lasted, perhaps not.</p>
    &l